Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:12:04 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Politics
« previous next »
: [1]
: Politics  ( 6695 )
Barbara
: 270

« : October 16, 2008, 12:39:13 PM »

I am very disappointed to see that the attack style politics have been brought into our local election.  We are a small community that relies on the ability to know our candidates personally.  I don't believe ugly, negative mailings assist the process.  A postcard, paid for by the Vermont Republican State Committee, came in my mailbox today.  It acts like an expose on one of our current representatives so called failing record.  The "report card" is determined by whether the vote was in line with the stand of the Vermont Chamber of Commerce.  This is a special interest group.  I think it is fine for them to decide for themselves how they would like votes to go, but to declare a vote a failure for the general public based on their displeasure is not a correct assumption.  Lets not waste our resources on spin style propaganda; misleading and incomplete information clouds the decision making process and doesn't bring clear answers to our many real problems. 
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #1 : October 16, 2008, 05:00:01 PM »

I want the voters in Franklin-1 to know that I had nothing to do with this post card. I do not participate in this kind of negative campaigning and those who sent it have made a mistake.

Earlier this afternoon I called Rob Roper, the Chair of the Republican Party in Vermont and told him directly not to use this  kind of technique in this district again. This kind of tactic does not belong in Fairfax/Georgia.

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1 Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : October 23, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »

Apparently Republican Party Members in Chittenden County were also as upset with the Flyer distributed there according to an article in The Milton Independent this week:

http://www.miltonindy.com/10.23.08don.html

Henry Raymond
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #3 : October 23, 2008, 12:08:20 PM »

I was very disappointed with the state Republican party's reaction when I called to complain about the mailing. There is no  doubt the card puts Rep. Gilbert's votes in an unfairly negative light. A call to him to apologize was my first phone call after I learned of the card. I do not agree with Chairman Roper's interpretation of the law, but I do have a promise from Roper and others at the state level that there will be no more negative mailers. These kind of tactics are not going to tolerated in my campaign.   

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
j_gluck
: 38

« #4 : October 23, 2008, 10:32:53 PM »

Carolyn, thank you for your response to this. I may not agree with all of your views and votes, but I appreciate your honesty and the way you communicate with the residents of your district.

I am curious about why Mr. Santee has not followed Carolyn's lead on this. His lack of response tells me that he does not have an issue with the mailer.

I agree with Barbara that this kind of campaigning does not belong here.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #5 : October 25, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »

Don't assume that, I do not.

Gary Gilbert's been my friend for years, coached my son Colin in soccer and is another "True Blue" New York Giant fan.
Our wives work together at B.F.A. Fairfax.
George Bilado and I have been on the board at Habitat for the last couple years.
We've been working "together" to help folks out for years !

I didn't send the flyer.
I never received the flyer.
Peter Moss showed it to me.
I do not support the attack.

I want to run on issues.

I support Governor Jim Douglas and his Tax Free Weekend.
I believe in his new economic stimulus program
and realize we must do some good in the first 100 days.

I support Lt. Governor Brian Dubie in his quest
to put sexual predators behind bars for a long time.
25 years to be exact.
I support an Updated Sexual Offender Registry.
I do not support "early release" for sex offenders.

I do not support a new "dime tax" on gasoline.
We must cut wasteful spending across the board
to pay for Roads and Bridges.

We need to see "Welfare to Work"
and we need inmates producing their own food.
Savings here could be tremendous
while also beneficial to society.

I believe in using technology in schools
to lower education costs and improve learning.
I know Vermonters can produce that technology.

We need mass public transportation.
Safe, clean and comfortable.

Our mountains, streams, lakes, air and woodlands need to be preserved.

That's some of what I believe.
I believe in Vermont and Vermonters,
not attacking them.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #6 : October 27, 2008, 11:49:27 AM »

Unfortunately, this tactic isn't new.  If you all recall, Rich Tarrant used a similar method when running against Bernie For the Senate.  Tarrant's campaign wrendched out of context Bernie's votes and made it look like Bernie was against what ever good was in the bill.  WHEN REALLY, Benir voted down bills that had key points of the republican agenda enclosed within them.  Tjis is a key and well-known practice in politics.  one side will introduce a bill and write in things they know their opponents across the isle will go for - thus making their opponents weigh out if what they want in worth giving up what they don't want.

on another similar note, Smear campaigns are nothign new either.  We've ALL heard the rhetoric.  We've all heard many politicians say they won't engage in negative adds.  YET, they all do it.  When it comes down to 'helping' voters make a choice, it's not enough for opponents to JUST state their views, beliefs, and plans.  It's like the only way they can distinquish themselves is by pointing out the weakness or bad things about the other.  I can see there point when some voters do not research the info fed to them by the media.
     I share the sentiment that we don't need negative campaigning in our area.  To tell the truth i was a bit embarassed when i saw the first statements released.  Bu tthen again, i have no affiliations to these groups so, i guess i was more embarassed as a Vermonter, and more specifically as a Fairfaxian.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: