Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:08:11 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fire Safety
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fire Safety  ( 1729 )
PotterFXFD
: 269

« : October 04, 2008, 05:01:50 AM »

It looks like it will be a nice weekend to tie up some fall items. With the rising cost of fuel oil and propane I am sure there will be a lot of alternate heating units used this winter. Please follow a few easy steps so I do not have to learn where you live.

- Make sure your chimney is clean, safe and the proper type for the fuel you are using. Look in the yellow pages and find a Professional Chimney Sweep in your area.

- Make sure your stove/furnace is in good working order. A free or cheap wood stove could cost you a $250,000.00 home.

- Make sure your appliance has been installed correctly. In the owner's manual there should be diamensions for all safe set backs. ie from back of stove to wall. And what type of chimney should be used. Don't just trust the installer check these items yourself.

- Only use seasoned dry wood in your stove, it will form less creosote and give you more heat. If using a pellet or corn stove make sure you only burn the appropriate fuel source.

- Have several fire extinguishers thru out the house.

- Install, test and check batteries in your smoke and CO detectors.

-Have a fire drill at your house with all the family. Make sure everone knows several ways out of the house and where to meet once outside.

Hopefully everyone will have a safe winter

Chief Dean Potter , Fairfax Fire Dept.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: