Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:43:09 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Montpelier Update
« previous next »
: [1]
: Montpelier Update  ( 3513 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : April 09, 2005, 08:22:32 AM »

Phew!    What a  week!    Things are really  humming in  Montpelier!  

This past  week in the House  of Representatives we worked through the Transportation Bill  (it is now  in the Senate) and began discussion on an Advance Directives bill.  I'm serving  on the Ways and Means Committee this session,  and in committee we're  talking about  local option taxes.  Seventy  or  so towns including Fairfax have the  authority  to levy  a 1%  local sales tax .  We're also talking about tax incentives for businesses, and expect  to receive a bill about  VEPC  from the Senate  next  week.  Our Education funding bill is going to the floor  of the House next  week.  It contains several things,  but  the most important  in my view  is a  part that will set up much needed training for town listers.

I'm glad many  of you saw  the news conference I held last  week  with  Rep.  Kurt  Wright  from Burlington. I appreciate  your calls.  I am very  concerned about the release from jail of offenders who are known to be sexual predators and  violent. In addition to encouraging judges to sentence these people for  longer sentences,  Civil  Committment is one way we can help get  them    treatment they  need, especially  if they  have not receive  the  treatment in jail.  And we keep the public safe in the meantime!  Insuring the safety  of  its  citizens is one of the primary  obligations of government.  The US Supreme Court  has  ruled Civil  Committment  constitutional, 18 other states  use it.  Law  enforcement officials  agree with  us that it  is  effective.  There is still time to  pass a  Civil  Committment bill,  and I continue to talk to as many  peole as I can to get this going.

Contact  me at  the  cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us  

Have a  good weekend!

Representative Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: