Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:09:14 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Brush Fire Season
« previous next »
: [1]
: Brush Fire Season  ( 7073 )
PotterFXFD
: 269

« : April 17, 2008, 06:23:14 AM »

We had our first brushfire of the season yesterday. Here are a few reminders for everyone before you decide to burn.

1. You must have a burn permit from the Forest Fire Warden in Fairfax this is Duane Leach.

2. You can only burn natural products leafs, grass, trees. No painted wood, couches, mattresses

3. Watch what you are burning at all times. These fires can and will spread very quickly and will go from burning a small area to a big area or the neighbor or we have been to them that have burned the house or barn as well.

4. Keep a garden house or buckets of water near by.  Just in case the fire starts to grow be ready to put it out.

5. Last if you think it is starting to get out of control. CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT get use coming early, don't wait until it has spread out of control or into your house.

Fairfax Fire Dept.
Chief Dean Potter
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : April 17, 2008, 07:16:54 AM »

How To Contact Duane Leach:

Duane Leach

1241 Main St.

Fairfax, VT  05454

Home:  802-849-6174 (days)

Work:  802-878-4440 (nights)

Email:  fordpu64@yahoo.com

Henry Raymond
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #2 : April 17, 2008, 07:22:27 AM »

Thanks for the post Chief.  It has been "quiet" so far in Central Vermont.  But, I am sure this weekend everything will get fired up! (Pun intended).

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #3 : April 17, 2008, 08:42:08 AM »

Yep, we where lucky last weekend it rained. But with sunny sky's and warm weather this weekend we all could be very busy. A couple of years ago there was a Saturday where we responded to 6 or 7 brush fires , 1 that burned down a garage and 1 that burned down a big old barn. With just a little wind that small fire can turn into a very big one in a hurry.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #4 : April 17, 2008, 10:44:08 AM »

hmmmmmm.... this subject interests me not so much by the brush fire aspect, but more so due to the legality of burning without a permit.  Does anyone have any info on how many complaints are issued a year for illegal burning?

What are the penalties for being caught burning without a permit?  for being caught burning household items such as cardboard, plastic and other 'non-ntaural' items?

Who enforces the law and are they bound by any confidentiality agreements?

This interests me because i know of a local Fairfax resident who reported a relevant incident to town authorities and was guaranteed confidentiality, yet was confronted by the person who was involved in the incident ( they said they were told who reported them).  The resident who reported the incident had to endure months of harassment and even some vandalism afterwards due to the breach. 
       If there's no confidentiality involved, i know i myself would be hesitant to report such things for fear of retribution as well.  It really is counter-productiive to the goal of the law and rules - and also allows those who don't care to get away with whatever they want while others abide by the rules.  Thus creating malcontent. 

WHO should illegal burning incidents be reported to that will guarantee confidentiality? I really don't have a problem with folks responsibly burning 'Natural items' as long as they're responsible about it - unless it poses potential threat to my domicile.  I guess that's the main point i want to make - bruning recklessly or burning toxic things that waft into my property and thus contaminate my air quality is something that shoudl be strictly enforced as losing a house or property or getting sick due to others ignorance is all around a bad thing
« : April 17, 2008, 11:09:25 AM Loctavious »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Mummy
: 280

« #5 : April 17, 2008, 03:06:57 PM »

Remember what you tell your kids......
You have to stand up for what you believe!  If someone is burning and if it concerns you as a responsible adult, you have the right to call and verify if there is a permit.   Should they provide harassment towards you, as a responsible adut there are avenues you can take to correct that  behavior.  Either way, you HAVE to stand up for what you believe or you will fail your next generation as well as the previous generation who fought for your rights that we all have today.  Would you tell your child NOT to tell the truth if they witnessed a crime because of harassment or fear of a possible outcome? 
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #6 : April 17, 2008, 03:39:12 PM »

Good question.  With the type of harassment and damages doen to that persons property, of which the monies to fix will never be recouped nor the perpetrator never to be brought to justice - Yeah - i'd still report it. 
Now ask yourself the question if reporting a crime means possible personal injury to your family or kids would you?  Before you answer, think about this situation that has, does and will continue to be a reality for some in different parts of the US:

You lose your job do the economy and have to settle for something that pays significantly less.  You're forced out of suburbia and can only find shelter falling in your financial means within an urban area.  After moving in, you find that you've got either gang or drug dealer activity nearby.  you've voiced your concerns to neighbors or merely have asked questions.  Before long, Mr drug dealer or a gang member threatend retaliation for any more trouble you cause or questions asked.  So when you actually see a drug deal, or something else, you're facing the same question you just posed.

Now answer it - beingmindful standing up for your beleifs could mean bodily harm to tyourself or worse your kids.

we're not in an area like that, our demographics here in fairfax have changed in the past 5 years and will continue to do so, but there still remains elements in our community that feel above the law, if not antagonistic of it, and certainly don't think or care about others around them.  I've seen and dealt with this rural ignorant behavior first hand in the past and no doubt will again in the future despite what the already thought out ramifications will be - but one can't discount others of lesser fortitude's courage in like matters and wish to be left alone.

Not everyone has that sort of courage and integrity.  And protection of loved ones and property is a huge issue.  A more powerful tool for those would be a public support group - namely verbal and physical support for those in such situations.  Something to give them a feeling of 'back-up' and safety in numbers - something to comfort and give the courage needed.  I do beleive that's where neighborhood watches came from.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Mummy
: 280

« #7 : April 17, 2008, 06:50:43 PM »

Wow....

I certainly hope those experiences have not be experienced here in Fairfax.  Personally, I believe that type of behavior you just described comes from too many people putting their heads down and walking away without saying a word.  Because of those heads going down the individual who is doing wrong now becomes more powerful and procedes to the next level which you also described.  Coming from a SemerFi background, I do believe there are many neighbors and individuals who would do the right thing and I know many who have. 

Again you are right, the cost is high but so are the lasting effects.  Our history is filled with stories of those who paid a HIGH price for the choice they made and many times the family paid the price as well.  Hopefully, the good will out number the bad but there is always a cost to be paid.   

: [1]  
« previous next »
: