Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:24:20 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  4-year Terms for Statewide Elected Offices
« previous next »
: [1]
: 4-year Terms for Statewide Elected Offices  ( 4010 )
fletchtb
: 310

« : April 16, 2008, 03:22:10 PM »

All,

I read today that the Vermont Senate Government Operations Committee rejected by a 3-2 vote allowing the state senate to vote on whether or not to consider 4-year terms for state offices like Governor, Lt. Governor, etc...

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080416/NEWS01/804160356/1002/NEWS01

I for one was dissappointed. I think it is kind of silly that all of these people have to run for reelection every other year, when it is so rare for an incumbent in this state to lose their position. I guess that makes me a "policy wonk" according to Senator White.

Anyone know what Gov. Dean and the Democrats' reasoning is for keeping the two year terms? Does anyone else care about this topic?

« : April 16, 2008, 04:00:24 PM fletchtb »
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : April 17, 2008, 01:01:09 PM »

At topical glance, and not reading that article you provided a link to, i'd have said makes sense to have 4 year terms for the very reasons offered in support of it.

But, i'd like to see ALL the reasoning behind why folks oppose it.  I don't feel the article provided offered enough of the otherside for ANYONE to make an educated opinion, much less a non-partisaned one.  The little info offered on the opposing side DID cite 1 important reason - which was that the legislature was out of sesson for 7-8 months of the year.  That alone woudl constitue and imbalance of power - we have different branches of govenrment specifically to ensure the overall voice of the citizens, traditional law, and modern interpretation of the law aren't trumped enroute to what, in reality may be a small fraction of the many, may seem as appropriate.

I'd be interested in seeing ALL 'opposing' and 'in support of' arguments are before i decided - wouldn't everyone?

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: