Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:13:17 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Tales Of Our Community
| | |-+  Florence (Barkyoumb) Magnan's Old Photos
« previous next »
: [1]
: Florence (Barkyoumb) Magnan's Old Photos  ( 5011 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 13, 2008, 10:58:52 AM »

Hi All,

Donna Meunier has shared some of her mother's old photos of our young people at St. Luke's back in the 50s & 60s.  I will give you a link to the large photos so you can better see the youngsters in the photo.  In this first photo, which appears to be a confirmation photo between the years of 1952 and 1959, I can identify one of the adult sponsors, Nettie Bovat and among the Confirmation Students I see Judy Larochelle, Barbara Young, Shawn Luther, Bishop Joyce, Father Sawyer, Larry Hoben, Dick Soule, Mike Wright and Roger Meunier.  Click on the following link for the first one:

This second link takes you to a photo of the interior of The Old St. Luke Church which was in what the Steeple Market is now:

The next photo is of a First Communion Class taken in the 1960s and I am hard pressed to identify any of the youngsters in the photo:

This next photo looks like a Confirmation Group and the photo was taken downstairs in the Old St. Luke Church where Steeple Market is now.  I recognize Don Pouliot and Pat Rooney, one of the Birthiaume girls, and Elizabeth Barkyoumb I believe.  Bob Bessette also noticed several others in the photo:

The Confirmation shot with Don and Gail Berthiaume Stafford also has one of the Burleson girls in it and my cousin Charlene Bessette (Francis & Reba) in the back row on the right.....Connie Rooney Dupont also, I think.

This next photo is of a St. Luke Vacation School Group - Not sure around what year, but was told that Don Pigeon is in the photo in the front row.  I do recognize the two nuns who were from The Congregation of Notre Dame at St. Mary's in St. Albans.  Mother St. Suzanne is the little short nun in the front who was the first grade teacher at St. Mary's for many, many years and also prepared many of us for Our First Communion here in Franklin County.  I made my First Communion back in 1938 and she was my teacher back then.  Maryann made hers in the mid 1940s and she was her teacher.  She spanned many years after that.  The other nun behind her is Mother St. Henrietta.  Also I recognize Betty Gillin, Brenda Bessette, Tish Collins and that is about it for me.  The photo was taken at BFA, back when religious organizations were allowed to use the school for these purposes.

The photo is actually quite good, considering I would say it was probably taken with an old Brownie Camera.  A special thanks to Donna Meunier for thinking of me.  If you would like to go to the album itself, you will find there are two size photos.  The links above were for the larger size I have uploaded so you can better identify the people in the photo.  When you click on the smaller size, the photo will be much smaller.  Click on the following link for the album:

« : February 16, 2008, 10:41:54 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : February 16, 2008, 10:38:37 AM »

Hi All,

Perhaps one of our best remembered and beloved Bishops was Bishop Joyce who had a wonderful way with people.

I received a note from one of our early youngsters who remembers Bishop Joyce and one of his mottos:

Hi Henry,
I am reminded with Florence Magnans' photos of Bishop Joyce that his motto was "Don't go to heaven alone, take someone with you." He always started and ended his speeches to the CYO Congress at St. Michaels College that way.

JoAnne

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: