Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:00:21 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Tales Of Our Community
| | |-+  From Jasper Farmer To Phyllis Soule
« previous next »
: [1]
: From Jasper Farmer To Phyllis Soule  ( 6874 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 02, 2008, 08:55:09 AM »

ORIGINAL HOUSE, 9 FLETCHER ROAD. Property sold by Ezra S. Butler to John E. Kendrick May 31, 1900. (Book 22 Page 196 - Fairfax Town Records - Photo and information is courtesy of Al Weldon and his wife Joyce Kendrick Weldon of Burlington, Vermont

SECOND HOUSE, 9 FLETCHER ROAD. This was actually a remodel of the original house by John E. Kendrick about 1901, which later burned. Pictured with him are his wife Mary Boyce Kendrick, son John B. (Jack) and daughter Katherine. - Photo and information are courtesy of Al Weldon and his wife (Ezra Butler Descendant) of Burlington, Vermont

SECOND HOUSE, 9 FLETCHER ROAD. Actually a remodel of the original house by John E. Kendrick about 1901, which later burned. Pictured with him are his wife Mary Boyce Kendrick, son John B. (Jack) and daughter Katherine - Photo and information is courtesy of Al Weldon and his wife (Ezra Butler Descendant) of Burlington, Vermont.  As you look at the photo you can see two buildings that still stand.  Just below the old house is the apartment building owned by Ron & Bev Gates and further down you can see what is now Vermont Food Ventures.  The third building down is the one torn down by Chan Cooley, who used the materials to build his house up on the Fletcher Road back in the 1960s.

PRESENT HOUSE, 9 FLETCHER ROAD. Built by Mary Boyce Kendrick Stevens about 1915 after the death of her husband John E. Kendrick in 1913. (By this time she was married to Delmar Stevens.) Photo and information is Courtesy of Al Weldon & his wife a (Ezra Butler) descendant of Burlington, Vt.

Al Weldon has been doing some genealogy research on his wife Joyce Kendrick Weldon and found that her family built three houses on the lot now occupied by Phyllis Soule at 9 Fletcher Road. Joyce Kendrick Weldon says she has purchased a lot at Sanderson Corners Cemetery and when people ask her why is she being buried in Fairfax, she tells them, she has ancestors buried here.  The history of this lot has been traced way back to the original township map. The farm originally belonged to Jasper Farmer, one of the towns first settlers. It was then sold for taxes by Joseph Beeman, Collector on February 18, 1808 to Lester Grosvenor, Jr., and said to have contained 25 acres. It was leased by Lester Grosvenor to Ephraim Butler, December 21, 1818. Ephraim Butler deeded to E. S. and J. C. Butler, the whole of his home farm containing 110 acres on February 20, 1847. Jed C. Butler deeded his interest in his father's home farm (conveyed by last mentioned deed) to Orion W. Butler on September 22, 1848. Orian W. Butler deeded his share to D. A. Shepardson, September 26, 1876. David A. Shepardson deeded to Betsey B. Butler on September 26, 1876. Betsey B. Butler and E. S. Butler now owned the farm jointly. On October 21, 1889, Ezra S. Butler deeded to Betsey B. Butler all that part North of the road commencing at the corner of Mill and Main Street running easterly on the highway 10 rods to a stake and stones running thense Northerly nearly parallel with Mill Street, 25 rods and 3 feet to a stake and stones, thence running Easterly in a straight line to a stake and stones on the line of L. B. Hunts farm, thence Northerly on L. B. Hunt farm line to Fletcher road, on said road to F. F. Wilsons (heirs) lands, around said Wilsons lot to Mill Street and place of beginning. Betsey B. Butler deeded to Ezra S. Butler, October 21, 1889, all that part South of the highway and a small piece North of the Highway. Ezra S. Butler deeded to John E. Kendrick on May 31, 1900. Lester Grosvenor bought several pieces of land which were all sold for taxes February 18, 1808 and some of them I think adjoined the 25 acres I mention first but there were not a part of Jasper Farmers land, having been the property of other first settlers of the town. The map would make this plain to you. According to the map the Farmer land seems to be what you occupy at present with some additions
« : March 10, 2010, 09:17:33 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : February 20, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »

I received a note from Al Weldon regarding the property at 9 Fletcher Road and one of the mysteries has been solved.  Everyone was wondering why the beautiful old house was torn down to build another - Well, as you can see from the note from Al, the original house was remodelled and then later burned.  Below is Al's Note:

"Good Morning Henry,

Read the info on your website re 9 Fletcher Road.  Thanks for posting it.  Two days after we spoke, I received a very surprising phone call from Albert (Bert) Butler.  Although he lives just a few blocks from me, I did not know him.  He is writing a book on the  Butler family in Fairfax.  His father. Albert was a friend of Jack Kendrick, (my wife's father).  Jack had corresponded with the father  from France during the First World War and Bert offered the letters to my wife Joyce.   He came by a few days later with the letters and other Butler info.  What a amazing coincidence, just a few days after you and I got together!  He brought a picture taken in the front of 9 Fletcher Road of the whole Butler family including a very old Ezra Butler. The quality is bad but he is trying to get a better copy.   He also brought along a tape of an interview of Reginald Butler by his son Linley that was made in 1984.  It is one of a 4 tape set in which Reginald provides historical information on the Butler family in Fairfax.  I hope to get copies of these tapes.  From the tape he brought with him, I learned that the second 9 Fletcher Road house was actually a remodel/enlargement of the original house and it was that remodeled house that burned down.   I will be happy to share any info I  receive from Bert with you."

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: