Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:38:38 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fire Dept News
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fire Dept News  ( 1980 )
PotterFXFD
: 269

« : January 18, 2008, 09:52:53 AM »

When time permits me I would like to pass on information related to the Fire dept. With Henry'y site being so open and viewed by the town. I will start here.

Cell phones are carried by everyone today and a cause for many false alarms for the Fire Dept. First thanks for being concerned and calling, however after you have made the call to 911 please take a few minutes to look into what you called in for.

Sign of smoke ( look to see if there is something burning or just someone grilling)

car accident ( is anyone hurt? is anyone even in the car? Or has the car been there overnight?)

On several occasions already this year we have driven around and around trying to find something that was called in on a cell phone. If at all possible stay in the area to help use find what you saw.  As always thank you to all the people in the community for all of there support and help.
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #1 : January 18, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »

Chief,
Good to see its not only us here in Central Vermont that has the problem. Being I travel all over the middle part of the state to teach for the fire academy, I here these types of problems all the time.  We in Waterbury get a number of calls regarding cars off the road on the interstate.   Only to find no car or that the State Police or tow truck is already there.  (Although we have in the last few months had a few working extrications.)  And at least once a month we get reports of flames being seen in the woods near the river.  People see the "eternal" flame from the off gassing of methane from dump. 
Cell phones are good but like anything only when used properly.  (And don't get me started on the dirivng and talking on the cell phone!)

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: