Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:51:10 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  ASSISTANT CLERK PAY AN ISSUE UNDECIDED
« previous next »
: [1]
: ASSISTANT CLERK PAY AN ISSUE UNDECIDED  ( 4191 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 27, 2005, 06:03:43 PM »

ST. ALBANS MESSENGER ARTICLE FROM THE THURSDAY, JANUARY 27, 2005 ISSUE
By LEEJ.KAHRS - Staff Writer

FAIRFAX — One question regarding the Fairfax town clerk's office remains: Will there be a paid assistant town clerk?

When Tina Levick resigned as the clerk on Jan. 1, she did so with a lawsuit pending against the Fairfax Selectboard. It stemmed from the board's refusal to pay assistant town clerk Melissa Allard. Levick claimed the selectboard had no legal control over the office of town clerk because it is an independently elected post.

Levick received a $13,000 settlement package from the town in back pay, benefits and money to pay her legal fees. In return, she agreed to drop the suit.

Interim Town Clerk and Town Treasurer Donna Meunier is running unopposed for the remaining years of Levick's three-year term. Meunier was asked Wednesday if she would be appointing an assistant town clerk and whether the assistant would be paid.

Meunier said the selectboard has authorized the hiring of an office assistant to help her perform her duties. She said she would appoint an assistant town clerk, but did not know if the appointee would be paid, adding that the issue has been tabled until after Town Meeting Day.

"There are two seats up for election on the town select-board," Meunier said. "The selectboard could change after Town Meeting Day. The issue will be discussed with the new select-board after Town Meeting Day."

Meunier added that she is not guaranteed the town clerk post, as write-in candidates could surface between now and Town Meeting Day.

"If I am elected, the select-board and I will discuss the status of an assistant town clerk," Meunier said.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: