Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:22:31 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier 2020 COVID-19 break week 9
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier 2020 COVID-19 break week 9  ( 1513 )
Barbara
: 270

« : May 15, 2020, 02:46:43 PM »

The end date of any Legislative session is never firmly set but the Budget appropriation is based on supporting 18 weeks. As of today that date has been reached and the session continues. An additional allocation is in H953, an act relating to Supplemental Budget Adjustments; fiscal year 2020, for expenses of the legislature to continue through June 19th and legislative staff expenses related to COVID-19 in FY20. H953 was taken up for Second Reading by the House on Friday and addresses COVID-19 impacts on the current budget year which closes June 30th. A summary provided by the House Appropriations committee listed three issues that this bill addresses. “First; makes reductions/changes to FY 2020 Appropriations in order to address the estimated $52 million in revenue erosion and other general fund loss. Second; adds borrowing authority to use inter fund borrowing from the Coronavirus Relief Fund, or if necessary, the use of reserves to cover the estimated $143 million in FY 2020 revenue moving to FY 2021. Repayment would occur when payments are made in FY 2021. Any extra funds will be available for FY 2021 expenses. Third; appropriates Coronavirus Relief Funds (CRF) for expenses incurred in FY 2020.”
H.673, an act relating to tree wardens was amended on Second Reading Friday. The amendment was a strike all presented by the House Agriculture and Forestry committee that reflected changes they made in response to concerns raised through testimony. The bill addresses the critical need for expertise in infestation control that the Emerald Ash borer has presented across the state as well as making other adjustments to a very old statute. A change made in the first section of the bill removes the requirement that the select board choose the individual from among the registered voters and adds that the tree warden need not be a resident of the municipality.
Friday session included three other bills that were passed and under suspension of rules, action on them was messaged to the Senate. H951, an act relating to the municipal emergency statewide education property tax borrowing program allows the state to reimburse municipalities the interest and borrowing costs that might be incurred to meet their June 1st payment. H656, an act relating to miscellaneous agricultural subjects included an amendment to clarify the authority and requirements for the cultivation and processing of industrial hemp during the 2020 growing season. S343, an act relating to delaying special education changes due to the COVID-19 state of emergency proposes the change from a reimbursement to a census-based model and the requirement that certain approved independent schools enroll students on an IEP both be delayed a year.
On Wednesday the House passed H948, an act relating to temporary proceedings provisions in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. Concern had been raised on the Second reading that the bill removed the requirement that a board of civil authority physically inspect a property that is the subject of an appeal. An amendment was agreed to that allows a request be made and facilitated to allow an inspection through electronic means. This statute change, as are many being made by the COVID-19 response bills, is only authorized during a declared state of emergency. 
I offer my deep gratitude to each and every one of you who are being cautious in contact but taking care of and serving our community. My contact information is bmurphy@leg.state.vt.us or 802-849-6545
: [1]  
« previous next »
: