Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:11:26 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier 2019 week 16
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier 2019 week 16  ( 1953 )
Barbara
: 270

« : May 03, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »

The official biennium photograph was taken on Tuesday between raindrops and committee work is winding down:  these are signs the final weeks are here. The House voted to convene a mock session on Monday to advance the calendar which means bills can be warned to Monday and then acted on when the Floor is convened Tuesday. For much of the session a rhythm for the week develops which will now be altered to make the most of the two weeks left of budgeted session.  H. 529 and S. 149, the committee bills the Transportation committee has been engaged with are poised for Senate action Tuesday. The Senate action can be either further amendment, concurrence or a request for a Conference Committee. Historically the differences have been settled by the latter but that is yet to be determined.
During the week organizations arrange to set up displays to share information with General Assembly members and visitors to the State House on many topics. Representatives from Age Well VT were in the Card Room one morning offering information on their services. “These agencies coordinate and support a wide range of home- and community-based services, including information and referral, home-delivered and congregate meals, transportation, employment services, senior centers, adult day care and a long-term care ombudsman program. They also provide assistance for adults in need of protection or supportive services.”  When introduced on the House Floor emphasis was placed on sharing the phone number for their helpline 1-800-642-5119.
H. 550, an act relating to unclaimed property passed the House on Wednesday. A list of property owners is available via: https://secure2.vermonttreasurer.gov/unclaimed/ownerSearch.asp The State receives new financial property continuously so encourages individuals to make an annual check of their database. S. 40, an act relating to testing and remediation of lead in the drinking water of schools and child care facilities passed the House by a roll call vote with 138 yeas to 3 nays. A roll call failed 61 yeas to 81 nays to send S. 133, an act relating to juvenile jurisdiction back to committee. During debate concern was raised that this bill was not correcting a serious flaw that has been identified in the ability to charge defendants who commit certain crimes before turning eighteen but aren’t accused of it until after. Prior to third reading the House Judiciary committee invited members to hear testimony that language will be placed in a separate technical corrections bill to correct this concern. With this confirmation of redress the bill passed on strong voice vote.
Friday members of the 14th Star Brewing Co. family were present for the reading of H.C.R. 131, House concurrent resolution congratulating Steve Gagner on his selection as the 2019 U. S. Small Business Administration’s Vermont Small Business Person of the Year. Franklin County members were pleased to join the rest of the House in welcoming them and Steve.
Please continue to contact me at bmurphy@leg.state.vt.us or 802-849-6545 or through the Sergeant at Arms office (802) 828-2228.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: