Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:25:02 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier 2019 week 14
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier 2019 week 14  ( 1946 )
Barbara
: 270

« : April 19, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »

The week opened with Floor debate and Roll Call on two bills. S. 49, an act relating to the regulation of polyfluoroalkyl substances in drinking and surface waters was presented and passed for Third reading on a vote of 135 to 1. The debate on S. 68, an act relating to Indigenous Peoples’ Day focused on what date should be appointed for this observance. The bill passed to third read on a Roll Call vote of 113 to 24. An amendment was put forward Wednesday to identify the first Monday in February as Indigenous People’s Day and retain Columbus Day on the second Monday in October but failed on Roll Call vote of 42 to 95.
The Transportation committee voted S. 149, an act relating to miscellaneous changes to laws related to vehicles and the Department of Motor Vehicles out unanimously Thursday afternoon rather than Tuesday as intended. The bill was not ready for the vote out of committee on Tuesday and the committee was not able to have enough time to take action Wednesday as many of the House members attended the funeral of Rep Bob Forguites in Springfield. S. 149 was on the House calendar Friday for notice but affecting the revenue of the state, under rule 35(a), was referred to the committee on Ways and Means.
A public hearing on Proposal 5, proposed amendment to the Constitution of the State of Vermont regarding personal reproductive liberty was held Wednesday evening for members of the public to give testimony to the House committee on Human Services. Proposal 5 has been adopted by the required two-thirds of the Senate and the next step is for the House to vote as to whether it concurs. The Vermont Constitution provides the requirements for how it may be amended. A concurrence by the House will mean it must be brought forward in the 2021-2022 biennium for a vote in each chamber again. The final General Assembly vote moves the proposed amendment to be put before the voters for approval by a majority of those voting.
Floor discussion Thursday on H. 207, an act relating to approval of an amendment to the charter of the City of Montpelier regarding non-citizen voting in City elections focused on concerns for the creation of a list of non-citizens that might be used to target individuals, a conflict with the Freeman’s oath language and the right for a person who is a resident of a municipality but non-citizen to vote on city issues. Charter changes are often cut and dried bills when they reach the House floor, but on this instance, there was a great deal of debate.  A Roll Call was requested on whether the bill should have a third read and passed on a vote of 95 to 46.
Please continue to contact me at bmurphy@leg.state.vt.us or 802-849-6545 or through the Sergeant at Arms office (802) 828-2228. (
: [1]  
« previous next »
: