Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:21:18 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier 2019 week 1
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier 2019 week 1  ( 1955 )
Barbara
: 270

« : January 11, 2019, 04:16:27 PM »

The 2019-2020 Session of the Vermont Legislature opened to the pageantry and fanfare of a new biennium. Wednesday the House convened at 10:00 AM for the election of the Speaker and swearing in of all members. The committee assignments were announced that not only reflect the seating of the new members in the Legislature but also the rearrangement of veterans. I am pleased to be returning to the Transportation committee and honored to have been named Vice Chair of the same.
I was also one of three Franklin County and Alburg representatives appointed to the Joint Canvassing Committee to canvas the votes for Governor, Lieutenant Governor, State Treasurer, Secretary of State, Auditor of Accounts, and Attorney General. The report of the Committee was given by Senator White Thursday prior to the administration of the oath of office to those duly elected.
Governor Scott presented his inaugural address Thursday afternoon to the Joint Assembly, distinguished guests and fellow Vermonters. Negative demographic trends identified by the Governor placed Franklin County in good regard comparatively but still included in the wide spread need to recognize and overcome obstacles to achieve the goal of an affordable Vermont for all Vermonters.
Some of the reforms mentioned in the address included health insurance, a voluntary paid family leave plan, helping more individuals purchase electric vehicles, funding water quality initiatives, a high-quality child care system, stronger education system, expand access to broadband and modernize Act 250. After delineating these as well as other areas of focus, Governor Scott stated, “I’m eager to work with each of you to develop policies to revitalize all 14 counties and to ensure that hope and opportunity exists…(in) all 251 towns across our state”.   
In his closing words the Governor quoted Senator Jim Jeffords; “When announcing his retirement in 2005, Senator Jim Jeffords said, ‘In no other job do you have both the freedom and the obligation to solve problems and help people on a daily basis.’ Solve problems and help people. A simple concept and an important reminder of why we’re here. “ 
: [1]  
« previous next »
: