Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:51:11 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier 2018 week 15
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier 2018 week 15  ( 2075 )
Barbara
: 270

« : April 20, 2018, 10:58:44 AM »

The Transportation committee was prepared to present S. 272 on the House floor but it was sent to the Ways and Means committee for final approval of changes that had minor effect on the revenue to the State. The bill is poised to be on notice for floor discussion Tuesday. Prior to officially receiving H. 917 the committee began reviewing sections that the Senate has altered in their strike all amendment.
In the original H. 917 language existing statute was enhanced by the House committee to support safety of vulnerable users of roads with the direction that vehicles need to slow down when approaching vulnerable users. This was expanded in the Senate by an amendment to the bill that includes language similar to what is in a National campaign to protect stopped utility-type vehicles displaying flashing lights and their users titled “Slow Down to Get Around”.  The accident in St Albans that killed a Casella worker last summer brought this issue to the forefront.
Friday morning the committee heard testimony on a floor amendment that is being considered to address the concern raised by ice blocks flying from the roofs of vehicles and causing harm to other users of the road. A recent incident in Vermont drew the attention back to this issue by the sponsor of H. 367, an act relating to requiring the removal of snow and ice from vehicles operated on public highways. There is national attention on this issue that has been titled Ice Missile legislation. 
Thursday night a Cabaret to highlight member’s ‘talents’ was held as a fund-raiser for the Vermont Food Bank - Rutland Distribution Center  This annual tradition raises a few dollars for a good cause and brings the members together for a bit of light hearted roasting as the session comes near to its end.
A sign of the session coming to its final weeks is the cessation of Senate morning committees. They will be held on an as need basis to allow for morning floor start. Bills are moving rapidly between House and Senate as final amendments are made, agreed to, or Conference committees created to iron out the differences. 
People continue to contact me with thoughts and concerns regarding bills and resolutions they have seen introduced. I appreciate the information on what concerns fellow Fairfax residents. Please contact me at bmurphy@leg.state.vt.us, 802-849-6545, or by mail at 7 Lily Rd. The Sergeant at Arms office in the State House, (802) 828-2228, will see messages reach me as well.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: