Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:25:15 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier 2018 week 13
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier 2018 week 13  ( 2085 )
Barbara
: 270

« : April 06, 2018, 01:24:26 PM »

Twelfth grade BFA students visited the State House on Thursday and Friday to observe committee meetings, floor sessions and interview individual legislators regarding bills they have been tracking in their Senior Social Studies classes this semester. These students are wonderful ambassadors for our community. Other Fairfax residents were present this week giving testimony on legislation before committees, offering coffee and information in the cafeteria and as a member of the final group of Pages, a program that provides a wonderful opportunity for eighth graders to participate in our State Government first hand for six weeks.
Members of the Transportation committee started the week at a press conference to recognize the Traveling Memorial of Workzone Fatalities.  The goal of the organization is to reach zero deaths within workzones through increasing public awareness of the need to be alert and reduce speed as the season of road construction gears back up, “Slow down to get around”. Later the committee took testimony from the Chief Financial Officer of the Agency of Transportation on the FFY2018 Federal Transportation Appropriations Act. The good news he shared is that the core highway and transit programs that account for over 90% of our federal transportation funding are increased by approximately 2.2% increase as compared to last year.
The VTrans Training Center Manager spoke to the challenges and goals for workforce recruitment, development and retention.  A program was highlighted that is proving an effective recruitment tool. The VTrans/Vermont Tech pathway has multiple points of entry. From juniors in high school to career changers to veterans looking to translate their service experience into a career, the pathway offers flexibility that suits individual needs.
The Branch manager for Vermont Local Roads came with the other two staff members to present the 2018 legislative report to the Transportation committee. Vermont Local Roads is a resource that provides workshops (one was held in Fairfax in June of 2017), as well as technical assistance to Vermont municipalities.
J.H.R. 15, Joint resolution requesting the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, and Congress to adopt more effective measures to enforce the federal Do Not Call list and to police illegal robocalls was taken up and adopted on the part of the House. It was referred to the Senate Committee on Finance for further action.
People continue to contact me with thoughts and concerns regarding bills and resolutions they have seen introduced. I appreciate the information on what concerns fellow Fairfax residents.  Please contact me at bmurphy@leg.state.vt.us, 802-849-6545, or by mail at 7 Lily Rd. The Sergeant at Arms office in the State House will pass on queries as well.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: