Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:13:28 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier 2018 week 8
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier 2018 week 8  ( 1951 )
Barbara
: 270

« : February 23, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »

The Transportation committee spent substantial time this week taking testimony and considering H808, an act relating to all-terrain vehicles. The need for H808 came from a long term and growing concern raised by illegal ATV activities. Evidence of the cooperation between Vermont ATV Sportsman’s Association and Vermont Association of Snow Travelers necessary for portions of the bill was identified and reinforced through witness testimony. The committee gave clear direction that the bill support an individual’s right to use an ATV on their own land without new regulation. 
A representative from the trucking industry gave testimony in the committee as to some industry concerns; these included the lack of sufficient drivers, challenges created by compliance with the Federal law regarding drivers scheduling and the ability for an oversize vehicle to travel on wet roads. The committee also discussed a signal light project for the I89 exit 14 corridor and the taxation of aircraft fuel.
Tuesday morning the House passed H 693, designating the Honor and Remember Flag as the State Veterans Flag. This flag is a national symbol which 23 states have adopted as an official symbol. H 636, miscellaneous fish and wildlife subjects came to the House floor Wednesday morning and generated heated action both with debate and proposed amendments on a section that addressed coyote hunts. The debate was passionate from members on both sides of the issue. Rep. Donahue proposed an amendment on Thursday’s final reading of the bill that would give the authority to ban hunts to the Agency so as to base the decision on scientific and biological facts. The amendment failed on voice vote but one proposed by Rep. Willhoit that removed jail time as a consequence of a violation of this provision passed on a roll call vote of 75 to 64.
The Governor released a memorandum to Legislators Thursday outlining a range of steps that can help make our communities healthier and our children safer. The steps proposed for action by the legislature either reference specific current legislation or areas to be considered for the future. S221, an act relating to establishing extreme risk protection orders is one of the bills identified and was passed out of Senate Judiciary Friday afternoon. The bill is on the Notice Calendar for the Senate for Tuesday and will move to the House before weeks end. What was voted out of committee is a strike all from the “as introduced” version and can still be amended by any action on either the Senate or House floor. The Governor’s goal to “reduce the risk of violence in our communities, now and in the future, while preserving our Constitutional rights as Vermonters and Americans” is non-partisan and shared by all members, the ‘how’ is the tough part.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: