Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:17:26 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier 2018 week 4
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier 2018 week 4  ( 1833 )
Barbara
: 270

« : January 26, 2018, 04:07:30 PM »

Tuesday the Senate and House of Representatives met in the Hall of the House to receive the budget message of the Governor. Governor Scott referred to the agenda for the session ahead and his vision for the future of Vermont, shared three weeks ago and the dependence of its success on restoring our fiscal foundation. A few stand out points include his desire for Vermont to phase in the elimination of fully taxing social security benefits on seniors living on low and moderate incomes, expand adult career and technical education across the state and a shout out to Rise Vermont – a movement created and led by Northwestern Medical Center, its surrounding communities and state partners like the Department of Health.

With the conclusion of Governor Scott’s address the Transportation committee returned to the committee room to begin a walk-through of the Vermont Agency of Transportation FY2019 Budget. Secretary Flynn presented an overview of the recommended budget which has a bottom line of $612 million, a decrease of $2 million (0.3 percent) from FY2018. Throughout the week the committee heard testimony from Agency Directors and personnel on their areas of the budget. Adam Duprat, a past Fairfax resident, spoke of his position as NW Region Vehicle Equipment Technician. He was one of those giving testimony to the committee who spoke of the career opportunity offered by VTrans. The Agency is working to make strong connections with Vermont high schools and career centers.

Transportation Committee chair Representative Brennon presented the Highway Safety bill, H761 on the House floor Thursday and on Friday the final vote was taken. A Roll Call vote was requested and the bill which includes primary seatbelt compliance was passed 133 to 7. The bill is now in the hands of the Senate.

Friday the Ways and Means committee took testimony on H586. This bill was introduced in response to a request that the tax law for exempt status of the Rooms and Meals tax be adjusted to include events like the Fairfax Fire Department’s annual fundraiser, the Calcutta. As the current law reads the exemption only pertains for food or beverage served on the premises of a nonprofit; the change is to remove “on the premises of” and insert “by”. The committee indicated their interest in the point and potential follow up with individuals in the Tax office. The Ways and Means committee has a pertinent section of the Vermont Constitution posted on its wall, Article 9 “And previous to any law being made to raise a tax, the purpose for which it is to be raised ought to appear evident to the Legislature to be of more service to community than the money would be if not collected.” Here’s hoping the funds raised from the community for the Fire Department by the Calcutta can be retained by Fairfax Fire in total.

For more information or to contact me please email me at bmurphy@leg.state.vt.us or call 802-849-6545 or mail to 7 Lily Rd Fairfax VT 05454. The Sergeant at Arms at the State House will also relay messages.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: