Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:33:18 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier week 18 (2017)
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier week 18 (2017)  ( 2367 )
Barbara
: 270

« : May 14, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »

With early adjournment out of the picture the General Assembly spent Wednesday pushing much of the sessions legislation over the finish line. Two roll call votes highlighted the passage of S22 and S8. S8 is an act relating to establishing the State Ethics Commission and standards of governmental ethical conduct. The House concurred in Senate proposal of amendment to House proposal of amendment. The final version includes a requirement that candidates release a copy of their most recent tax return form 1040 which was controversial in the House debate.
S22 titled an act relating to increased penalties for possession, sale, and dispensation of fentanyl was in reality an amended version of H170, an act relating to possession and cultivation of marijuana by a person 21 years of age or older. The original language of S22 as per fentanyl penalties was added to H503 which also included pieces of other judicial related bills. Trying to follow a singular piece of legislation at the end of session is challenging. It becomes more critical than ever to have time to read what is being proposed.
Several bills were either concurred with or adopted after presentation of the committee of conference report on Thursday and Friday. To allow this action to occur the House suspended the rules and brought items forward ahead of the normally allotted time. Friday afternoon disagreement over the teacher’s health insurance issue brought progress to a halt. The agreement to suspend rules without requiring a two-thirds vote was terminated. A mock session Monday will move a few bills forward to be ready for action when the General Assembly reconvenes. Hopefully a means to come to agreement will have been reached.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: