Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:44:43 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Your opinion on a HEAT PUMP heating system
« previous next »
: [1]
: Your opinion on a HEAT PUMP heating system  ( 6404 )
nancyd
: 304

« : April 12, 2017, 06:22:59 PM »

Hello,
I've read a little about a heat pump heating system instead of
Using the traditional oil or propane furnace. Green Mountain installs
These. It is suppose to save you on your energy bills.

However, what is required is the installation of a heating unit in each room.

Any opinions???? Do you use this system?
Thanks!
Nancy
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : April 15, 2017, 05:42:28 AM »

good for a/c .just remember it uses electricity and unless you have a solar grid it will cost money. it works good for heating to about 40 degrees .but it still uses power
al brodeur
: 216

« #2 : April 15, 2017, 01:18:06 PM »

I have seen where they tie in to your central air system as they are used both ways cooling and heating  most contractors use electric heat as a backup because its cheaper for them but if you
have any other source that can be used. some contractors will try to tell you otherwise but that is pure bull

added note one of the biggest problems is the reversing valve which changes  the system over from a heat pump to central air
al brodeur
: 216

« #3 : April 15, 2017, 01:31:54 PM »

one other thing to consider is where you live some areas of town are colder than others, is your home sheltered? and the big question do you have a backup gen large enough to run this system in case of a power failure?
nancyd

« #4 : April 15, 2017, 06:50:35 PM »

Thank you to everyone with your comments!
We have a propane furnace... Well did have one, a Peerless.
For a few years we have been using wood pellets. Much more economical.
However... Hard work bringing the bags in and filling the stove.
Had furnace inspected.. Not safe this winter because of
Carbon monoxide safety issue.

My son recommended a heat pump... But I know now it's not
For us. OK.... Will go with a traditional new propane furnace,
Probably a Weil Mc.

Thank you!!!
Nancy
Norton
: 85

« #5 : April 16, 2017, 06:22:02 AM »

There are heat pumps that tie into your main system, but the vast majority of heat pumps installed in Vt houses are stand-alone units.  They don't connect to your central air system.  These are essentially space heaters.  They have an outside unit and an inside unit that hangs on the wall.  You probably wouldn't need one in every room, but one alone probably won't heat your house unless it is very efficient

In the past we haven't seen them much in Vt because they didn't work well in very cold weather, but that has changed.  There are units now that still retain most (>80%) of their output below zero.

They provide heat much cheaper than traditional electric resistance heat, certainly cheaper than LP.  And as noted they air condition as well.  I haven't heard of any problems with the controls regarding switching from heating to cooling.

They don't work without electricity, but then again neither will your LP furnace, or any other furnace or boiler.  As always, it's nice to have some sort of heat that works when the power is out.

You can go through GMP if you want, but you don't have to.  You can use your own contractor, but you might want to choose one that has experience with these units.  There are rebates from Efficiency Vermont.  You can get more info at:
https://www.efficiencyvermont.com/products-technologies/heating-cooling-ventilation/heat-pumps
nancyd

« #6 : April 16, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »

Thank you! Lots of very good information.
If we were staying here long term, I would think about getting both.
But ... I am getting house ready to put on the market within a year.
Yes, we plan on moving.

Than you all again!!! You are always great when I have questions
Or need advice.
Nancy
: [1]  
« previous next »
: