Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:16 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Tales Of Our Community
| | |-+  The Bridges Down By Steeple Market & Boutin's
« previous next »
: [1]
: The Bridges Down By Steeple Market & Boutin's  ( 6607 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 07, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »

Had somebody ask me a question about the bridges that were built down by Steeple Market and Boutin's.  I really know very little about it, so forwarded his e-mail on to Mike Cain, one of our most knowledgeable historians here in town.  I thought some of you might be interested in what happened there:

Hi Stephen,

About the old toll bridge:
Back in the day, the main highway in town came down Hunt Street and then onto my street, past my house, down the hill and across a bridge that was downstream from where it is currently located. The bridge was lower back then and would wash out during a spring highwater incident. The state would give money to rebuild, but after the second or third time, the state said no. Some investors in town got together(and I believe one of them was Hiram Bellows), and built a bridge. To recoup their expenditures, they charged a toll. This bridge lasted until 1833. When that washed out, they moved the bridge up stream so it connected with South Street. This is where it sits today. Actually there were three bridges- the original double covered bridge, which went out in the 27 flood, an iron bridge which was torn down in 86/87, and replaced with the current bridge.

Hope this helps!

Mike Cain

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : November 07, 2012, 12:49:17 PM »

Thanks, Mike, fascinating as always.  Are there any photos around of the double bridge?
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : November 07, 2012, 01:05:48 PM »

Here are some photos of the bridges of Fairfax:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/photos/fxbridges

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #3 : November 07, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »

Thank you, Henry for posting,  and Mike and Sally for sharing these fascinating photos!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: