Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:33:50 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier week 4 (2017)
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier week 4 (2017)  ( 3060 )
Barbara
: 270

« : January 27, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »

Looking back to the start of the week, the Governor’s Budget Address overshadows all else. There were other events, however. Tuesday morning the Transportation committee heard the update of the VT Highway Safety Alliance. A new tool in experimental use at a few ‘high crash’ intersections, is a smart ‘eye’ camera-switch that has the ability to alter the length of amber-to-red signal change and the opposing green, to safely clear an intersection of traffic.  Other committee work sessions this week that spoke to safety measures included the VTrans Mowing Policy, the implementation of measures to address incidents at Quechee Gorge, safe access for crossing Rail property, center line rumble strips and annual pavement marking, to name a  few.

National School Choice week was highlighted in the Statehouse on Wednesday with a Resolution recognizing Vermont’s independent schools. Fairfax’s Imagine Schoolhouse participated in the day’s program. They won recognition plus $500 scholarship money for a student video made in response to a Mannequin Challenge promoting what is unique about their school.

Many people have contacted me with concerns regarding Governor Scott’s Education Finance Reform. The reset of a special school budget vote date in May is offered to allow districts to respond but there are many costs, both hidden and clear, to taking that action. The level fund component of the reform says, “for FY2018, this budget proposes to fund school districts at their FY2017 district spending levels.” The BFA schoolboard has worked diligently to produce a fiscally conservative budget and have crafted a budget that is less than the FY17, until you add the FWSU assessment in. With the shift of services to the superintendent’s office for consolidation opportunities and savings, some items have been removed from the district’s control. The Supervisory Union budget now contains the highest, least predictable and least controllable costs. I have asked the Governor to “help me reassure the BFA, Fairfax community that the “line in the sand” is fair.
Corm
: 65

« #1 : January 27, 2017, 06:52:20 PM »

Thank you Barb. Your efforts to keep us aware of what's going on in Montpelier are appreciated!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: