Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:18:06 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier Week 17
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier Week 17  ( 3507 )
Barbara
: 270

« : May 07, 2016, 05:23:23 PM »

End of Session

The gavel fell on the 2015-2016 biennium at just past mid-night Saturday morning. This last week was full of moments of intense debate and study interspersed with testimonials for and celebrations of long serving staff and elected officials. And then there was the waiting.

The House and Senate appointees on the committees of conference for numerous bills, hammered out differences and brought forward reports of recommendation to be voted by the Body. Action on the floor came in a flurry with nearly a dozen bills reported on and passed between 5:30 and 7:00 PM. The final push from 8:30 on was for another half dozen that included the money bills, both the budget and tax.

The House Journal for Friday alone is 459 pages, which reflects fairly the challenge to present even a modicum of the work here. The best source for the full details is the  legislature.vermont.gov website. Please contact me with any questions or concerns at 802-849-6545 or bmurphy@leg.state.vt.us
johnmitchell
: 62

« #1 : May 10, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »

Barbara
  It is good that the session has ended albeit without much having been accomplished this year. One exception is the increases in the budget, fees, taxes, etc.  Montpelier really needs to come to terms with spending and realize we Vermonters as citizens and businesses cannot afford more of the same.  Indeed many have simply given up and moved on.  I will support you in the fall in hopes that you can continue to carry that message to the capital..   Overall I think you did a good job representing our community.   thanks
mrs.freddie
: 40

« #2 : May 10, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »

Thank-you, Barbara!  I can imagine the frustration in Montpelier during the last weeks of the session.  Enjoy the break! You surely deserve it!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: