Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:38:22 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Article 3: Trash Talk
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Article 3: Trash Talk  ( 24802 )
Barbara
: 270

« : February 19, 2016, 05:44:11 PM »

I have loved being able to brag that my taxes do buy me something as tangible as curbside trash collection, however the last few years of service on the Development Review Board caused me to see challenges to retaining Town wide trash pickup. Private roads with multi unit sub-divisions had to identify and provide an area for trash containment that was on the public byway. The piles of trash at the end of some roads were often pulled apart not just by dogs but by crows as well. Now legislature has been enacted that makes the challenge of disposing of trash in a simple and fiscally reasonable manner even less of a reality.
By my calculations with figures given at Thursday nights informational meeting it will cost $394 per parcel per year to implement the new proposed Article. That is $650,000, an average of the four years prices, divided by 1650, the number of parcels that was told to us. This Article is non-binding so even these figures are a best guess of a potential cost. Alternatively, the cost to join the District is approximately $6500 for the Town for the year and there is sufficient money in the proposed budget to take this action. That would mean we as Fairfax taxpayers could actually see a reduction in our property taxes by voting NO on this Article. I have an offer in my mail from Duffy's to have my trash picked up weekly for $23 per month. That times 12 is $276 which even with my share of the District price is still less than the Article's price tag, if it were figured per parcel. I will be happy to have the convenience of accessing the Georgia drop off at my convenience 6 days a week and request we join the District even if we buy the Cadilac trash plan.
ssweet
: 299

« #1 : February 19, 2016, 08:07:12 PM »

I have talked with Duffy's and they have several rates depending on what you would like.  Your containers or theirs.  Senior Citizen and Military special pricing.  One can also have every other week pick up.  You can customize the trash pick up to your needs.   
mrs.freddie
: 40

« #2 : February 22, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »

You are so right, Barbara, and I agree with voting NO on Article 3!!

I am so frustrated that the residents of Fairfax have not been educated on all the mandatory aspects of State Law Act 148 that we, the Town alone, are responsible for...it is so much more than just picking a hauler and putting the trash on the curb each week if we continue Town curbside.  If we were a part of the District, they'd be educating us, our kids, and giving us whatever resources we need to increase recycling rates for our Town (mandatory).  We're 7 months into the State reporting fiscal year ( the State bases deadlines on the first day of their fiscal year: July 1) and back to starting from scratch with residents voting on Article 3 without the information they'll need to make an informed decision.

I work for the Chittenden Solid Waste District, and work with CSWD's Solid Waste Implementation Plan (SWIP) requirements day in and day out. I've (literally) been in the SB's face since last May trying to educate them on all Act 148 entails, and that it's more involved than anyone on the SB, let alone poor Stacy, has time for.

This is a quote straight from the State regulations that applies to the Town of Fairfax (we are considered our own Solid Waste Management Entity-"SWME"), as well as all the other Solid Waste Districts (SWME's) in Vermont:
"The SWMEs will be responsible for meeting a set of standards and deliverables that measure actions applied at a local level. Failure by the SWMEs to meet the standards may result in a determination that a SWME is not in conformance
with the MMP."

Here's the link to the containing document: http://www.anr.state.vt.us/dec/wastediv/solid/pubs/MMP2014/MMPdraft_18June2014_draft.pdf

Here's the link on the State ANR website showing data collected in previous diversion and disposal reports: http://www.anr.state.vt.us/dec/wastediv/solid/DandD.htm It will give you an idea of what data the Town needs to aggregate for the SWIP deadline each year, with some data submitted biannually. 

Town trash disposal data, along with residential and commercial recycling of landfill-banned materials, in additional to all data related to other diversion efforts (organic waste through composting, bulky waste like furniture, electronic waste, tires, scrap metal, paint collection) and it needs to meet the state diversion standards, meaning, the Town has to get trash disposal down, by a lot, and the amount of recycling in Town needs to go way, way up. The Town as a whole is on the hook for non-compliance by not doing these required tasks, and any fines will, I'm sure, trickle down to residents somehow. 

lena6
: 357

« #3 : February 22, 2016, 03:06:19 PM »

I strongly agree with you Barb. I think at least we should go with the Solid Waste District for at least a year to allow the Selectboard ample time to put this article out to bid the way that it should be rather than trying to get it done in a month and a half.   Jim Meunier
Barbara
: 270

« #4 : February 28, 2016, 09:30:42 PM »

I was upset to find a postcard from Cassella teiilng me to vote yes on Article 3 in my mailbox Saturday. As the company who will receive the 2016 payment of $410,000 I think it is improper of them to attempt to influence our vote. I hope Fairfax votes No on Article 3 and joins all the town's of Franklin and Grand Isle counties in the Northwest Solid Waste district.
mrs.freddie

« #5 : February 29, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »

I wonder why Casella wants everyone to vote yes.  They've got the town contract if we do, and residents will have to pay those ridiculous prices for the next 4 years. 

I don't like being deceived into thinking my elected officials are doing their due diligence when they are not.  That's twice now they've been called out for not being truthful about collecting bids. 

I just hear back from Gauthier's this morning that the last request for a bid from Fairfax was also in 2013.

I emailed Myers yesterday and they replied:
"No one has contacted me or the company in regards to a quote. In fact, I called Tom after the meeting and left him a message. I thanked him for letting me speak and told him if he needed anything else please contact me."-Joe Sinagra, Myers rep.

Myers and Gauthier's are the second 2 largest hauling companies, and no one called them?  Myers said they'd bid, and our Board never called them back? 
This isn't right.  I cannot believe we were told, to our faces, that they called other haulers.  They absolutely did not call Myers or Gauthier's.   

mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #6 : February 29, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »

Also, Mrs. Freddie.  Did you call any of the Select Board?  Before saying they are lying to you. I honestly encourage you to not judge folks without calling on both sides please. They do answer the phone and they do respond if went to voicemail. I have spoken to several of them during this process to ask questions as the local rumor mill can get way out of hand.

I also understand us voting "No" makes your employer money as well. So voting "No" in your campaign on the website is no different in my opinion than Casella sending a postcard.  When you first posted started to provide information was different, now your posts are vote no and our selectboard is lying...

The Select Board did not have to do any of this and could have made the decision as it is their right as a Select Board. I appreciate them bringing to the public the option to choose. I hope everyone can get as informed as possible with all the facts before tomorrow so they can choose what they feel is their best option via Yes or No.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
ohhman
: 469

« #7 : February 29, 2016, 12:52:33 PM »

I did NOT have a problem with the postcard any more than the flyers received from our current hauler, whom had backed out of the town contract, or the 3rd flyer from a hauler that did not want in with the select board's request.  I just hope all know that less than $40.00 per month as they stated, can still be more the what the board got in a worse case scenario from Casella's @ $32. per month, which hopefully will be even lower.  I still wish there was a way that landlords would be responsible for each apartment as a separate unit: if they have 3 apartments then they should pay the fee 3xs as they have 3xs the trash!  That could be figured out I would think by the lister's office as they know the properties.  That also would reduce the rate...I do not feel going by property value is fair to many whom may just have a really nice home with only 2 people living there.  Just a thought that others have shared.
mkr
Administrator

« #8 : February 29, 2016, 12:56:31 PM »

The flat rate will do just that ohhman. Which they discussed flat rate so it would no longer be a % of your taxes.

ohhman
: 469

« #9 : February 29, 2016, 01:29:53 PM »

So that would mean landlords were charged per apartment?  that would seem to be the fairer way.. Thanks again for your info!!
mrs.freddie

« #10 : February 29, 2016, 02:27:25 PM »

mkr: Yes. I surely did reach out several times in the past year asking for information about Act 148.  I have done 'educational outreach' in the form of presentations about recycling and composting at BFA for the elementary kids and even offered via email to give the board all the materials I used so my efforts could "count" for our Act 148 requirements, and no one got back to me from the Town. 

I again emailed the Select Board after I got the mailing about the special meeting for just this reason, and was told Casella was the only bidder.  I asked the select board directly, in person, at the special meeting if they asked other haulers to submit bids and again told Casella was the only bidder.  The question was asked again at Town Meeting and again people were told that the select board reached out to other haulers, again with no response.  It doesn't matter what the Casella bid works out to, the point is there was no competition for better rates.  I don't understand how that is being truthful, mkr.  I was told to my face something that is untrue, and I confirmed they did not contact Myers or Gauthier before posting.  I have done my research and due diligence, mkr. 

Also, I work for the Chittenden Solid Waste District, not the Northwest Solid Waste District.  I do this for a living and know Act 148 extremely well, and the information we're getting from the select board about what Act 148 is not entirely accurate.  I've been on these threads trying to educate with factual info but incorrect information is still being posted about Act 148. 

Let me be clear, mkr:, no, CSWD would not make money if people vote no.  I have been speaking out about Act 148 in my free time, after doing this at work all day.

I am encouraging people to vote for something that take money away from CSWD, because I care about where I live, and I care about doing the right thing.  All the trash goes the same place, no matter who's hauling it.  Duffy's takes Fairfax trash to the Casella-owned transfer station.  Casella will also take Fairfax trash to their facility. It doesn't matter who hauls it, Fairfax trash goes to the Casella's facility in Williston.  You saying I benefit is false, and actually the opposite is true. Vote no and CSWD will actually lose money because residents may chose to use a NWSWD drop-off center, meaning they will not be charged the solid waste fee CSWD would normally collect for the entire town's trash.  I want what's best for our Town so please do not imply I am in any way financially motivated to drive this vote one way or another.  I go to BFA, in my free time, by request from teachers who know me as the recycling guru, and I educate the little kids because I love to do it.  For FREE.  Some teachers and I are working on moving from milk cartons that go in the trash, to recyclable milk jugs. 

And ohhman, Myers did indeed follow up with the select board after the special meeting, and I have quoted the Myers rep in another thread who wrote to me saying Tom never called him back to follow up about a bid.  Again, the select board stating they again called around is not accurate as Gauthier's also confirmed they have not heard from the Town of Fairfax since 2013.  I have a quote from Jane Gauthier confirming this as well. 

In my house, saying something that isn't true is called a lie. I did my research and presented proof that these 2 haulers were not contacted after being told, twice, by the select board that they were. 

mkr
Administrator

« #11 : February 29, 2016, 03:24:11 PM »

I apologize for screwing up about your employment. That is my bad.

As for the he said she said stuff I am just going to leave that as it is. I ask that we keep it to trash and not bash others.
« : March 01, 2016, 08:39:33 AM mkr »

mrs.freddie

« #12 : February 29, 2016, 04:25:35 PM »

It's a common mistake, but one that needs to be clarified.  Now you know :)  Thanks for responding, mkr.

The bid issue is about transparency and since I work for a large board of commissioners, I know bids must be collected for any municipal contracts over $2,500.  That's CSWD, true, but the same general guidelines should apply to the Town.  This bid is significant, and I would have assumed there would be more options.  It's a moot issue at this point, anyway. 
LAFVT94
: 2

« #13 : February 29, 2016, 05:00:17 PM »

For further information - I just personally spoke with Jeff Myers from Myers Waste and Recycle.  He advised that if asked to submit a bid (which they were not asked to do) he would be bidding for Myers Waste and Recycle only. 

He also indicated that they would be willing to make an offer if the Town voted "Yes".  As for the "unanswered" phone call, he didn't have a recollection that a call ever went unanswered but simply reiterated his Company "wasn't at the table" to make a bid in the first place.   

Thanks to Mr. Myers and the rest of the folks who have provided further information in a professional manner on this issue.   

Make that vote count tomorrow!!!

All is fair in love and garbage,
Lauri Fisher
mrs.freddie

« #14 : February 29, 2016, 05:22:53 PM »

Hahaha ok, I'm done with this.  Sounds like you, and the board, have done what you can, so thank you for your work on this.  I do love trash, and I do love my town, and would be happy to continue to volunteer at BFA as the recycling lady.  Did i just say I love trash? 

: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: