Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:50:17 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Health NOTE for those who use/need digestive enzymes UPDATE
« previous next »
: [1]
: Health NOTE for those who use/need digestive enzymes UPDATE  ( 2374 )
nancyd
: 304

« : February 05, 2016, 10:12:41 AM »

You know me as Nancyd. I am a registered nurse, with a BSN in nursing. I also do indepth research into various health conditions to investigate current modes of treatment.
There are conditions that necessitate the use of digestive enzymes.
The problem is, they are very expensive., and can cost upwards of $400.00 a month, depending on the brand recommended by the physician. That is the copay amount..depending on drug coverage. Now there is a backorder on pancrealipase.

My research recently uncovered a site in California that provides health supplements, and a digestive enzyme called pancreatin. Physicians prescribe varrying doses of digestive enzymes depending on the needs of a patient. The dose is determined by the condition, ie, pancreatitis, IBS, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth ( SIBO), and others, and by body weight.

Digestive enzymes are very expensive. The company I found makes pancreatin and amounts of lipase stated is 17,000 units per capsule.physicians usually prescribe 45,000 to 85,000 units per meal for patients with SIBO and pancreatitis.

Getting back to cost.. The company I found provides a stated 17,500 units
Per capsule . the cost for the amount needed is $149.00 versus $250.00 to $400.00 a month.
This is huge savings. I have sent capsules to a testing lab to verify the amount of lipase as stated on manufacturers site. Lab assay Costs $200.00.

Once the assay is completed, I will post the manufacturer.
IMPORTANT...you should NEVER obtain digestive without prescribing physician approval. Digestive enzymes are mostly via Prescription. There can be issues of overdosing, interactions with other drugs. A gastroenterologist looked at my information, and said they would OK to use, as long as the manufacturer has stated correct information, hence the assay test.

Many many thousands of people suffer from conditions requiring the use of digestive enzymes.
As a nurse, I want to keep my community informed on this important issue. My information is for educational purposes only.
Nancyd

I received results of assay. The actual content of Lipase in each capsule is 15,100 units
And not the stated 17,500 units. However, one can adjust  the needed number of capsules on Dr's suggestion. I buy these pancreatic enzymes from Pure Prescriptions.com. look for Pancreatic Enzyme Formula. I get 2 bottles of 180 caps per bottle.

I have read that 56% of people with IBS develop
small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. There is no cure for this. I can help if you are suffering from SIBO or Crohn's as symptoms are similar. PM me if I can help.

« : February 24, 2016, 10:17:08 PM nancyd »
: [1]  
« previous next »
: