Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:27:56 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Need Your Input on Cable TV
« previous next »
: [1]
: Need Your Input on Cable TV  ( 8749 )
nancyd
: 304

« : January 27, 2016, 06:34:12 PM »

I'm looking for a new cable TV provider or Dish? I currently have Directv. They are just plain gougers, and I'm looking to change.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Nancyd
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : January 27, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »

What is your internet like?
Speeds up and down and data caps?

We cut the cable tv cord a few years back.
Between over the air antenna, Hulu via internet, Roku3 and 4, and "other means" we haven't looked back at traditional cable or satellite.

nancyd

« #2 : January 27, 2016, 08:17:10 PM »

Mike,
Thanks, . but do you get news programs? I don't know what hulu is. Our Internet provider is Fairpoint speed is fine.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : January 27, 2016, 09:50:45 PM »

Roku has a free CBSNEWS app, they even have a YouTube one now.
They even have FOX if you like listening to people yell at each other.

If you set up your subscriptions in YouTube you can get any news source you want commercial free and pick what items you want to watch.
For local news you setup OTA. Over The Air Antenna.

Hulu is for movies and tv shows.
All the movies Netflix "lost" went to Hulu.

Look at the Rokus on roku.com.

I am sayig Rokus because I don't know anything about AppleTV.
nancyd

« #4 : January 28, 2016, 07:54:13 AM »

Mike, very helpful, thank you! My best,Nancyd
woodstoves2
: 46

« #5 : January 28, 2016, 10:11:13 PM »

I've had DISH for many years and no complaints from me except I wind up paying for more channels than I'll ever watch just to get Turner Classic Movies. They relocated my dish to receive HD and offered me a fancy system that records up to 4 programs at once, but I declined that and when I pointed out my 20 year old Magnavox tube TV can't use HD, they don't charge me for it.  Mike's digital system (ROKU with Over The Air Antenna) makes a lot of sense and is much cheaper, but if you're at all cyber-challenged or cyber-lazy and are looking for a good satellite service, I recommend DISH.
JoeT
: 100

« #6 : February 03, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »

I tried the whole local TV off air thing - mainly to save money.  Digital off-air HDTV looks great but does not hold up well if you do not have direct line of sight to Mount Mansfield or have a bunch of trees in the way.
Trees!  That was our problem... any time the wind blew we'd loose our signal.

Back in 2009 when analog TV went away there were literally thousands of folks who lost reliable local TV (I was in the call center at VPT handling many of those complaints - I remember).
So for us, it's back to Dish Network - which I rather like, anyway.

Regards,
Joe

nancyd

« #7 : February 05, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »

Thanks Joe and all who responded! I'm AM techno challenged!  So all your advice is greatly appreciated! As a senior citizen , I do pretty well fixing things, but I have yet to understand my awful Chrome box computer and cable TV. Soooo, you guys have pointed me in the right direction. Just one more question....I pay Directv about 109.00 a month....that's with no HBo, or Starz of any movie channels except TMC. I think that's a lot! Just curious if there would be savings with Dish.
Hey, enjoy Superbowl Sunday!
Nancyd
JoeT
: 100

« #8 : February 05, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »

For us, Dish with a dual DVR (recorder) Hi-Def receiver and 250 (*) channels, with local channels, but no premium channels like HBO is in the $85/ month range.
That also includes a maintenance package so if they have to come and look at your gear, it's mostly covered.  I had a receiver die once and they sent me another one the next day - so for me, even as a guy who can fix just about anything electronic, it's worth it  :)

As a new customer you'll pay a bunch less than that for a year or two (just like with Comcast or Direct).

I would recommended going directly to Dish rather than a local dealer - my opinion is the quality of the installation is better.  They do have local techs who are *very* good.

(*) 250 channels?  What does that mean?  I guess my math is a little too old school because it's really 290 channels.  A bunch of them are shopping and info channels!  That tier does include AMC and BBC, plus a bunch of sports networks.

Ok, before I end up being a total shill for Dish I'm going to sign off!

Regards,
Joe

saravilleneuve
: 7

« #9 : February 05, 2016, 03:42:09 PM »

We have DISH Network also.  We have been happy with it, and you can usually negotiate them down on price pretty well, especially if you talk about other offers from competitors.  We have DISH incentive coupons if you're interested.  It will save you money monthly .... and we get a kick back, too! I can leave them at the town library if you are interested. (no, I don't work for the company, I just like to save a few bucks!)
: [1]  
« previous next »
: