Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:14:11 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  75th Anniversary of BFA Fire January 17, 2016- Correction
« previous next »
: [1]
: 75th Anniversary of BFA Fire January 17, 2016- Correction  ( 2797 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : January 06, 2016, 12:56:18 PM »

I made a mistake on the date of the Remembrance. It is the 17th, not the 27th.

It was a bitter cold Friday evening, January 17, 1941. People were gathered at the Town Hall, also called the Amuse-U Theater, and eventually referred to as The Old Grange Hall, for a pair of BFA-Fairfax High School basketball games. The girls team was playing Highgate with the Boys team to play Milton afterwards.
Partway through the 3rd quarter of the girls game, the building shook. People thought they heard an explosion. Suddenly someone came running in from outside, hollering, "The school's on fire!"
The game was halted and people gathered at the school to witness the unthinkable. Bellows Free Academy was being gutted by fire.
On Sunday January 17, 2016 at 7pm, the Fairfax Historical Society will mark the 75th anniversary of that night by gathering in the Old Gym, aka the Middle School Gym, to remember that night. If you have any stories of the fire or remembrances of that night, we invite you to come and share. If you are new to Fairfax and want to learn about an historical moment in the town's history, please attend!

« : January 08, 2016, 12:34:54 AM MikeF9 »

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: