Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:47:16 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  SCAM?
« previous next »
: [1]
: SCAM?  ( 4247 )
mirjo
: 785

« : September 03, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »

Around 8:30pm I received an anonymous call from a heavily accented male claiming he was  "tech support" regarding microsoft and there were some issues that needed to be fixed. He gave me some info about where/when I'd purchased my computer to make himself sound plausible. I knew he was going to suggest he access my computer remotely, which I wasn't going to allow, but I wanted to see where he was going. I pushed him hard to tell me what he wanted and he wouldn't give me a straight answer and I kept saying get to the point, what is it we need to do, to fix this so called problem? He walked through opening some menu of microsoft applications, some were running, some were stopped and told me that was the problem. It sounded like BS. and he kept carrying on in stilted English, ma'am this, ma'am that. I told him he wasn't going to access my computer and he just carried on with whatever he was saying about wanting to help me. He asked me to open a browser, so I did and put in a web address, (http://lmi1.com/ so I did and a screen came up   asking for a code and had a download button, I told him I didn't have a code, so he gave me one.

I have decent security on my computer, so I wasn't worried about finding out what this was about and sure enough, as soon as I entered the code, there was an alert not to go further unless I knew/trusted the person trying to access my computer. I said, you're trying to access my computer, I don't know who you are, we're done. I hung up and he was still carrying on about his legitimacy. The site that comes up is https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/Customer/Code.aspx. I think it's legit, but not the person calling me. There are any number of people out there who would fall for a scam like that and be hacked, because he did have some accurate info and I did stop and think for a minute. It's entirely possible if he hadn't been such a hack himself, I possibly could have been persuaded.  :/

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
logical
: 141

« #1 : September 04, 2015, 06:38:02 AM »

I always just tell them that I don't have a computer!
Judi
: 508

« #2 : September 04, 2015, 07:14:08 AM »

This scam has been going on for years and even the Attorney Generals office has done a report on it. Microsoft does not call anyone! I am glad you recognized it as a scam.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: