Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:09:27 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Country Pantry
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Country Pantry  ( 16726 )
kpplus2

« : July 05, 2015, 02:05:47 AM »

Ran across this on craigslist   http://burlington.craigslist.org/bfs/5102525460.html
mirjo
: 785

« #1 : July 07, 2015, 08:33:26 PM »

So all is not as well as it would appear...

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
kpplus2

« #2 : July 08, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »

Not sure Mirjo just call it as I see it. . . . time will tell. . . .
wwiihistory
: 56

« #3 : July 19, 2015, 03:45:29 PM »

Change the restaurants name! It's cursed!
nancyd
: 304

« #4 : July 22, 2015, 08:02:41 AM »

Do you REALLY want this guy back in  town???  This venue is a valuable asset, but only valuable if it's backed by someone with moral integrity. I can eat my pancakes somewhere else.
kpplus2

« #5 : July 22, 2015, 04:32:25 PM »

Well nancyd here is how I look at it: Not everyone is perfect and when this was ran years ago I remember lines outside on Sunday mornings and the restaurant did well. I would rather see it get back on its feet producing jobs with folks earning money. The alternative is an empty business with grass growing around it and an eye sore to look at.
lena6
: 357

« #6 : July 22, 2015, 05:58:35 PM »

I agree.  We need a restaurant in town.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #7 : July 23, 2015, 06:47:16 AM »

I agree with Keith & Lena also.  I don't drive much any more & I love going out to breakfast.  Every summer I have friends drive up to visit me and just last week a couple called me and suggested we go out to lunch at The Country Pantry. I am sure there are a lot of people that plan on stopping in Fairfax on their way through, only to find there is not a sit down restaurant here in town.  Hopefully things will work out.

Henry Raymond
RidgeRunner
: 73

« #8 : July 23, 2015, 07:59:11 AM »

I also think we need a restuarant in town.  I am not certain of all the ins and outs, who actually owns the place, their financial status and what not.  I would really like to see a nice restuarant in the building.  Given his history I think Sam is going to have a hard time making "the Country Pantry" work.  I completely understand that he has "paid his debt to society' but there is a sizable portion of the community who don't want to financially support him based on his past actions.  I myself would be reluctant to bring my family there.

If Sam's business plan is the same as his old plan I think he will also struggle as the food service industry has changed since he ran the place, more farm to table initiatives, etc...

I suspect that if he actually gets the doors open, he will stay open for a period of time and then end up closing again.  Which is sad for all parties involved and not what the town needs.
nancyd
: 304

« #9 : July 23, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »

I totally agree with RidgeRunner. We do need a restaurant in town. All I am saying is that Sam is not the one to own it or run it.
A debt to society does not mean a successful rehabilitation. This is my only issue with it. And my concern would also be for a protective environment for workers there.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #10 : July 24, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »

The man's past aside ( by the way, with not knowing anything about where he is at in terms of rehabilitation, judgement is not ours to make either way.  We all answer to a higher power and it is that higher power who will ultimately reign justice and judgement.   That said - victims may forgive but they never forget -  nor is welcoming perpetrators in with open arms in any way realisitc or fair)
I wouldn't go so far as to say that this community is progressive in terms of patronizing a business becuase it doesn't follow a sustainable and green philosophy.  If your product is good, affordable, and people like it, customers will patronize you.  Personal opinion or approval would be the bigger issue for success I feel in this case.  Thus, if his business is to succeed, An open apology/sign of remorse and rehabilitation would go a long way.   with a Farmers market right next door, im sure working soem local produce in wouldn't hurt - unless its pricey.  I for one wouldn't mind not havign to travel 8-17 miles to The Mix, or 158 main, or Tim's place, or Our House to get breakfast.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
lena6

« #11 : July 24, 2015, 10:03:28 AM »

If Sam does not get any kind of backer he will not open.  He needs money to fill propane tank and buy food.  I myself feel it will not open.
mirjo
: 785

« #12 : August 02, 2015, 11:49:57 PM »

What a waste. If he can't reopen, then he should consider selling to someone who can. It's possible Jack Foley of 158 Main would be interested--he only left in the first place, because the rent was too high...

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
lena6

« #13 : August 03, 2015, 06:15:48 AM »

Sam does not own it.  Our "friend" Gabe Handy still owns it.
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #14 : August 05, 2015, 06:34:30 AM »

Unfortunately I don't think it comes down to who owns it or who wants to buy it as much at the "Country Pantry ship has sailed".  Time a new fresh beginning with a different name, theme or some sort of chain that can rejuvenate.  Trying to reincarnate the Country Pantry each time has failed numerous times for various reasons not just because of the "who owns it factor".  It definitely would be nice to though to have a local establishment to visit when we return to Fairfax to visit though.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: