Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:46:28 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Substitute teachers
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Substitute teachers  ( 29428 )
7F24
: 253

« : April 17, 2015, 07:13:54 PM »

Is there any truth to the rumor that substitute teachers are going to be contracted through Kelly by the SU...if so will this cost us more?
7F24

« #1 : April 23, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »

Is anyone from the SU on this forum?  I am curious about the rumor of using Kelly services for substitute teachers.  This reminds me of the whole busing issue.  I believe if a substitute is needed now, they are called directly by Val or Sally.  If we use Kelly services, we will not only be paying for the substitute, we will also be paying Kelly so they can make a profit.  Is this what is happening, or am I misinformed?
trussell
: 870

« #2 : April 23, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »

I don't have an knowledge if this is true or not, but this is an interesting idea.

Kelly Services would charge at least 25% above whatever the sub receives for pay but that dollar increase may provide a decent value return to warrant it.
If Kelley is handing the background checks, payroll taxes, employment compliance, etc then it could (in theory) save school employees time then it might be worth it.  It could also be beneficial if Kelly agreed to guarantee coverage.  I imagine a temp agency probably has access to a much larger pool of resources than a single school or group of schools does.  As a temp agency employee, the subs would probably have access to other benefits such as health insurance, maybe even .

I don't really have a bias either way but just remember to look at the total value of both sides (just as with busing) before making a decision.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #3 : April 24, 2015, 08:24:58 AM »

I've heard this is what is being discussed, but am not sure why. Right now we have a system that works. The secretaries (both Fairfax citizens, I might add) are basically on call when not at school. When a teacher or paraprofessional knows that they can not make it to school, we call the secretaries. This may be in the evening or very early in the morning. The secretaries are compensated for this service by receiving an extra hours pay per day. This money stays in Fairfax. The secretaries make calls to the people on their sub list. Most of these subs are also Fairfax citizens. Many are moms or dads or grandparents of the kids in our school. They work because they like the kids and our school and get a chance to put a little (and I mean a little) extra cash in their pockets.  They personally know our kids. Our kids know them. Our secretaries know all the subs' strengths and are very good at matching the sub to the vacancy needed. Our secretaries know which sub works best for each special needs student. They know which ones can best handle a difficult classroom. Our subs care about our school, our kids, and the job they are doing and they do an excellent job on sometimes very short notice. Many of them move into permanent positions as paraprofessionals in the school. All this money, our tax dollars, stays right here in Fairfax.
If Kelly Services is brought in, I'm positive that many of the dedicated subs we have will not work for them. They will not have the flexibility they have today working through a temp service. The money the school will pay for this service will not stay in Fairfax, it will go to Kelly Services, a national company. The subs may be coming in from many other places, Burlington, St. Albans, Essex, Milton, and who knows where else. This money will not stay in our town. Our children will not know them. They will not know our kids. Kelly Services will not know who works best with what child or in which classroom. These subs might not care about our kids like our own community does, and only see their work at our school as a job.
Currently we have a system that has and still does work well. If we have any difficulty finding enough coverage on any given day it is usually because there is a long list of teachers and paras out of the building. There is a limit to the names on the list since subs are paid very little for the job that they do.
This community should be asking why, like with the buses, contracting this out will better serve our taxpayers and/or our kids. How does bringing in a middleman give us a cheaper service? And how will the quality compare? Just because a few other schools in the state do it it doesn't mean it's right for our community.

Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #4 : April 24, 2015, 08:28:59 AM »

A thoughtful and well written piece, Julie. Thank you.  The old expression 'why fix it if it ain't broke' seems to apply here. All your points are cogent and spot on. 
kpplus2

« #5 : April 24, 2015, 09:00:53 AM »

Great points. I think the issue may have come up due to the lack of Subs. I know many times they simply cant fill the daily vacancies. Maybe this was a way to increase the picking pool? Maybe the fix is use our own and if they can't fill the vacant spots, then call Kelly for help? Could be a way to solve all issues. . . 
ohhman
: 469

« #6 : April 24, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »

Thanks for the information Julie! I agree with Rev.Liz!  I am much more blunt & will say this:  once again this is where it comes from the SU office, always trying to make their job easier & cutting one check regardless how it plays out within our system, (lunch issue, 1 head custodian for our schools,  attempt @ busing) & now this.Pretty sure it doesn't happen often where they can't fill the spots, so why bring in an added expense just in case? 
kpplus2

« #7 : April 25, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »

Pretty sure it doesn't happen often where they can't fill the spots

Pretty sure it does
nhibbard
: 393

« #8 : April 26, 2015, 05:26:01 AM »

Did they present the actual number of times they could not fill the spots?
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #9 : April 26, 2015, 11:57:25 AM »

Perhaps some thoughts from the secretaries who actually contact and schedule the substitutes on a daily basis could provide a little first hand information to this conversation and add to the information Julie provided.
RidgeRunner
: 73

« #10 : April 27, 2015, 09:12:08 AM »

Yes this is being looked at, like the bussing there are reasons why it is being looked at and this time no decision has been made, information is only being gathered. 
7F24

« #11 : April 27, 2015, 05:11:38 PM »

What are the reasons?
RidgeRunner
: 73

« #12 : April 28, 2015, 10:52:11 AM »

Just to be clear on this issue.  NO DECISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE.  At this time information is just being gathered.  Further discussion will be had, I highly recommend that you go to the School Board Meetings and state your concerns so the board can hear them.  I am certain that the administration has reasons for looking at this, some of their concerns you may agree with some of them you may not.  Come to board meetings hear the reasoning for issues, ask questions, weigh in with your opinions.  This is how a community should be involved in the school, not by speculating on forums such as this.  I think BFA has a pretty reasonable board who listens to the concerns of the community and does the best job they can to meet those concerns. I also believe that the administrators are a good group of people who really understand the ins and outs of running a school. I think they do due deligence to the community by exploring options like this and bringing them to the board for informed discussion.  I believe they excell at looking at what's coming out of Montpelier and positioning the school in the best way possible to meet the future requirements and minimize disruption to the school.  Sometimes this means we have to at least look at changing the way we do business and occasionally actually change.

If you look at the bus issue as an example, the Super was the biggest proponet of keeping the buses.  I know that many people think otherwise but I saw his actions first hand.  He made several appeals to the State for waivers from the law, he helped build the case that proved to the state that keeping the busing as is was the most cost effective way to do business and in the end the state insisted that the busing be managed by the SU, which is going to happen but in a way that will have a zero impact on the way BFA does business. 

I encourage anyone who has concerns on this to come and participate in the board meeting and hear all of the information and provide your point of view.
« : April 28, 2015, 10:54:14 AM RidgeRunner »
ohhman
: 469

« #13 : April 28, 2015, 11:41:05 AM »

I have attended school board meetings & 1 reason I do not go is we can NOT hear what the board is saying, & YES that has been brought to their attention many times! It makes 1 feel as if not wanted if you can't hear what is being said & a bit uncomfortable to always ask them to speak up.
I also disagree with the SU was the biggest proponet of keeping the buses;  he HAD to file a waiver to be in accordance with the ridiculous rules the state is mandating to school & after petitions, towns people also showing support, he finally saw it possibly as a way to get the budget passed PLUS, our BUS super proved it is more cost effective to keep our own buses. NOT always is change for the better & we do NOT have to be the 1st in the state to do something coming down for new rules... let someone else take the fall & we can learn from mistakes. That comment I heard @ a board meeting before: that we would be the 1st school to do something.
Glad NO decisions have been made & that information is being gathered; HOPEFULLY both sides are well represented rather than putting more pros to the side 1 wishes for.
Rarely does adding the income of a "middle man" to do the job continue to be cost effective; maybe in the beginning, but just wait for it to change.
Watchman
: 47

« #14 : April 28, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »

" I also believe that the administrators are a good group of people who really understand the ins and outs of running a school." Maybe you can explain why the High School principal is being replaced? Heaven forbid that in a free society, filled with technological means of communication,  anyone would dare to speak on a public forum, let alone to each other.
: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: