Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:51:49 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Tornado Warnings Issued For Fairfax - High Winds Do Damage
« previous next »
: [1]
: Tornado Warnings Issued For Fairfax - High Winds Do Damage  ( 5539 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 16, 2007, 06:46:04 PM »

Hi All,

Well this afternoon around 4:15 p.m. after I had lit the grill to cook some supper, Fairfax was hit with some high winds, hail and heavy rain doing much damage.  Tornado warnings were issued, so when we saw the storm coming, Maryann and I got in the big walk in show in Maryann's room and waited out the storm.  Heard on the scanner that there were power lines down at the junction of 104 & 104a, on Goodall Street where the fire & rescue are located and a number of other places around town.  Could hear the fire department talking back and forth as they cleared trees from the Sam Webb Road and Buck Hollow Road among others.

If you took any photos and want me to put them up, please send them to me, or you can log in on the Photo Gallery and create your own album if you wish.

After we had supper, I went out and took some pictures, but most of the debris was picked up and the Sam Webb Road and Buck Hollow Roads were clear.  Below are a few of the pictures that I took after the fact:

The Road to the Fire & Rescue was blocked off by downed wires and a tree

Planks from the wharfing & one of the doors were blown off at The Bellows Farm

And could be seen scattered around the lawn 

Sam Webb Road

Sam Webb Roiad

Sam Webb Road

Buck Hollow Road at Carl Cain's - Thanks Mike for catching my error in location.

Buck Hollow Road

Buck Hollow Road

Buck Hollow Road[/b]
« : August 16, 2007, 09:39:42 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #1 : August 16, 2007, 07:03:01 PM »

Burlington Free Press Reports at:

[/b]
« : August 17, 2007, 07:45:37 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #2 : August 16, 2007, 09:03:58 PM »

Great shots, Henry!
The one picture of the house with the stone wall is actually Buck Hollow Road. Actually, it's my brother, Carl's, place. I was on the phone with Anthony as he drove into the driveway and he told me the maple trees near his old sandbox were gone, as was the maple near the racecar hauler.
Thanks for taking a picture of it.

Mike

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : August 17, 2007, 07:34:54 AM »

A number of people remarked that it reminded them of the Tornado of June 11, 1973, but if you look at pictures of the disaster here in Fairfax at that time, that one was much worse.

Click on the following links to refresh your memories if you wish:

[/b]

Henry Raymond
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #4 : August 17, 2007, 11:38:41 AM »

I have to agree with Mike, great photos Henry.  If I had time to, rather than issues orders and instructions I would have grabbed the fire dept. camera to take photos of the roads "before" the clean-up began.  As the incident commander for the fire department during the bulk of this natural disaster I have to tip my hat to all the members of the Fairfax Fire Dept. for going above and beyond while enduring the elements.  Thank you to the Fairfax road crew as well, I believe we were as much of an asset to them as they were to us to help quickly resolve the threats to public safety created by this storm.  Our Central Dispatch, VSP, Franklin County Sherrifs, CVPS and GMP all were instrumental in assesing and taking action as all agencies worked together without much miscomunication.  You know its going to be a long evening when our dispatch resquests a phone call from me and I get "Justin have you got a pen and paper"?  " I have a list of pending 911 calls from your district".  Also a quick thank you to my wife Emily along with Darlene Coon and Christine Bessette for providing us with nourishment and refreshments during the whole ordeal.
Henry
Administrator

« #5 : August 17, 2007, 12:59:41 PM »

Check Out The St. Albans Messenger Report By Leon Thompson & Rick Burnham at:

[/b]

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: