Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:41:44 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  A student's perspective....
« previous next »
: [1]
: A student's perspective....  ( 9645 )
Watchman
: 47

« : January 12, 2015, 07:38:45 AM »

"For those of you who have been wondering why I've been posting sad, depressing things. Well maybe it because I've always been targeted by bullies. Making me wish I was dead! Because as far back as I can remember I've always been picked on how I dressed. And how I look. "Look at that fat ugly hillbilly. He knows nothing". I have to deal with this **** at school every day. I'm growing sick of it. Because I've dealt with this **** for 17 years. I'm tired of how everyone ****ing judges me! I've only had two people, my two best friends helping me. Geoffrey Schukei ever since 5th grade has been helping me. And Morgan Cosgrove ever since last year has been trying to help me. And I thank these two very much."
 Posted on Facebook
ohhman
: 469

« #1 : January 12, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »

This is truly sad!!! I am hoping whomever has posted this gets some help, guidance & is shown how important he really is, before any more damage is done.  I can tell you bullying goes on way too much in our schools; have seen it, intercepted it  reported it, though sometimes it may fall on deaf ears.  We did have a fairly safe place at one time, especially for our gay students, but not so much anymore; very sad as the wonderful person that helped in that area retired a few years ago. I am hoping the friends of this student are able to talk to others & help them see the light, both sides for the student post that is saying help & for the others that bully.  Years ago I was at a basketball game & witnessed 1st hand some kids texting another student & you could tell it wasn't nice. I intervened & it stopped, at least for that night, & the look in the victim's eyes when he saw what I was doing was so thankful.  But it didn't stop & a tragedy happened. Those kids are seniors today,  they, myself &  a friend I was sitting with knows who they are; I hope they are not still practicing old habits.
sue
: 124

« #2 : January 12, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »

Please find someone to talk to.  It does get better.  But I know how hard the time is now.  Wish I was there to help...
Barbara
: 270

« #3 : January 12, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »

Thank you Watchman for reposting this here.  I discussed the book Wonder with two book groups here in Fairfax and hoped the discussion of the story would bring greater awareness to the issue of bullying.  Quite often subtle forms are seen as "teasing" and bring laughter to those watching but be alert to what (whom?) you are laughing at.  The brunt of the "joke" may feel victimized.  The BULLY Project has offered guidance in many communities for how each of us can help end this "social disease".      http://www.thebullyproject.com/
Watchman

« #4 : January 12, 2015, 12:58:31 PM »

Just to be clear, I copied a student's post that I read on Facebook. I've known this young man for a few years and I find his cry for help to be quite moving and poignant.  I also respect his appreciation for his friends. I hope he finds someone who can give him some support.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : January 12, 2015, 01:34:12 PM »

Watchman,
Thanks for posting the fact that you are not the originator of that post.  I try very hard to respect an individual's privacy, when I know it.  Bullying & Hazing are definitely nothing new in the school system.  I can vouch for that, having been a student in a one room school some 70+ years ago.

Henry Raymond
Cathy Morin
: 13

« #6 : January 12, 2015, 02:27:08 PM »

My heart breaks for kids who are bullied & it goes on more than we know at the school. Very sad when a child is trying to get an education & being bullied. I know from personal experience.
« : January 12, 2015, 02:30:27 PM Cathy Morin »
kpplus2

« #7 : January 12, 2015, 08:13:27 PM »

Thanks Watchman, This is a true cry for help. I do not know this child however I encourage the folks that stated they know him to not hope he gets help but to reach out to him and his parents if possible. Even if it's responding to his FB post privately and just have a quiet conversation with no pressure but to tell him their is a community out hear that cares., Whatever works! Henry said it best, this has been going on for years and won't stop however reach out and tell/show this young person their is a life outside the School walls and those bullies come and go.
Watchman

« #8 : January 12, 2015, 10:26:54 PM »

I gave the student the name of someone he can approach at school to discuss his issues. This was after someone at school read the post and contacted me.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #9 : January 13, 2015, 11:08:22 AM »

Thank you Watchman for pointing it out and helping the student reach out.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: