Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:35:29 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Franklin West SU Board Meeting on Jan 8 - LOCATION: BFA Fairfax Multipurpose Rm
« previous next »
: [1]
: Franklin West SU Board Meeting on Jan 8 - LOCATION: BFA Fairfax Multipurpose Rm  ( 8102 )
Franklin West SU
: 102

« : December 19, 2014, 02:04:36 PM »

Here is the FWSU Board meeting on January 8th starting at 6:30pm at BFA Fairfax Multipurpose Room

1.   Call to Order        
2.   Consent Agenda: Approval of Minutes Regular Meeting: 11/19/2014, Special Meeting (Para Negotiations): 12/4/2014
3.   Public Comment                           
4.   Correspondence
5.   Board Business   
a.   Approve Transportation Plan/Bids (bid available to view at FWSU Central Office) – Action
b.   Approve FY2016 Budget – Action
c.   Negotiations – Discussion
d.   FWSU Board Governance – Discussion
6.   Reports
        Ned Kirsch – Superintendent
        Mary Lynn Riggs – Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment 
        Kim Magnuson – Support Services
        Chris Sumner – Financial
7.   Other
8.   Executive Session (Negotiations, Personnel)
9.   Adjourn

Schedule of Regular Meetings:                   
•   Wednesday, March 18, 2015 – 6:30pm at FWSU Office 
•   Wednesday, May 20, 2015 – 6:30pm at FWSU Office 
« : January 11, 2015, 07:36:29 AM Henry »
ohhman
: 469

« #1 : January 07, 2015, 02:52:35 PM »

I hope many show up for this meeting!! Remember is in the Multipurpose room, so there is room for MANY!!!!!
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : January 08, 2015, 08:03:07 AM »

I can't attend, but think someone should ask if a full cost analysis between the bids/keeping local buses was done & it should be produced for all to see. If it is more expensive for the SU to have it's own buses, then so be it, but they need to prove that, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure what happened, it seemed like this went out to bid after the Sept school board meeting and that's where it was at in Nov at the SU mtg. There was no discussion or anything, just a reading of the letter sent by the Sec of Ed & a statement made that the SU was waiting on bids. And a seemingly  halfhearted comment by a board member to keep the concerns of Fairfax in mind, which appeared to be met with an equally half-hearted response from the SI, but no genuine interest in the subject and no one from the public there, whcih surprised me.

Has it really come down to people not willing to push for answers and accountability? Taking the emotions out of this issue: while it bites that that the state thinks it knows what's best for every town, there is a definite need for districts to save $. BFA has proven to be able to maintain a fleet of buses rather well over the years and it seems reasonable at first glance anyway, there is no reason keeping the fleet in the SU for the 3 districts would be more costly than an outside contract--however there are some logistics/costs to overcome initially, since the other two schools don't have buses. But whatever, you know? The SI sure seems opposed to the idea, even if it were fiscally sensible.... 

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
mirjo

« #3 : January 08, 2015, 12:13:48 PM »

Yeah, not quite sure where he blew in from, but as someone who has been around a long time and seen a few SI's, can say with certainty, NOT impressed in any way, shape, or form. I hate to be that person, but he clearly strikes me as a non-native. And certainly, the least friendly SI this supervisory union has ever had! Even the temporary SI a few years back was far more personable and he was simply filling in until a permanent replacement could be found. Maybe someone on the the hiring committee should have shot across the bow on this one. ???

ohhman

« #4 : January 08, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »

Mirjo, not so sure it is not that we don't want to push for answers & accountability, but, in my perspective, it gets very hard to battle against the power when SI has already seemingly wanted to disperse of our bus system.  I have asked questions & can say, again, my opinion, I find it very rude when I do, that the SI turns head away & one meeting even said he is being accused of this & it isn't him.... not so many words, but that was the jist.   So, I will be there tonight waiting for answers/outcome, but again, gets frustrating to attend only to feel like you really aren't wanted there by some.  I can't tell you the # of times members are asked to speak up as we cannot hear them... doesn't make for a warm welcome.  Just my take on this!
RidgeRunner
: 73

« #5 : January 08, 2015, 06:07:31 PM »

Yeah, not quite sure where he blew in from, but as someone who has been around a long time and seen a few SI's, can say with certainty, NOT impressed in any way, shape, or form. I hate to be that person, but he clearly strikes me as a non-native. And certainly, the least friendly SI this supervisory union has ever had! Even the temporary SI a few years back was far more personable and he was simply filling in until a permanent replacement could be found. Maybe someone on the the hiring committee should have shot across the bow on this one. ???

What does "being native" have to do with anything? As an eighth generation Vermonter and ancestor of people who chartered towns in this state, I can't see what being native has to do with anything and unless you are Abenaki, you're not native either...
« : January 08, 2015, 09:45:28 PM RidgeRunner »
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #6 : January 09, 2015, 07:45:47 AM »

GREAT NEWS on the Buses!

Note from Paddy Shea who was at the meeting:
Fairfax will keep our buses. And, it's about $100,000 cheaper for the district to keep our buses than it would have been to go with the outside contractor who bid! Everyone who spoke at the FWSU board meeting (board members, district staff, members of the public) agreed that this was the way to go.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
ohhman

« #7 : January 09, 2015, 09:19:42 AM »

It is awesome news!! Can't deny the figures for sure!  Only thing the was not spoken of & I didn't see the actual print from the SU until after the meeting, was the fact that although we were assured the bus garage would NOT be part of any deal, that it would remain as part of our school, was actually in print that we would be renting that out for 12k a year, yet we would still be responsible in the event of any issues, like a chemical spill, it would be our responsibility.  So, at least we don't have to worry about this a few years, but we need to stay aware of this!  Also, it was brought as question, since the figures are there & it's 100k LESS for us to run our buses, has any thought been given to maybe Georgia & Fletcher being serviced by us in the future at an even more cost savings?? Something the boards hopefully will begin to look at NOW rather than in a few years when contract times come up. 
nhibbard
: 393

« #8 : January 09, 2015, 10:13:32 AM »

Maybe now this won't be an annual debate and we can move on to making sure the next contract for the teachers is well considered since that is really the only item that can cause a problem.
mirjo

« #9 : January 09, 2015, 12:51:53 PM »

Ok calm down ridgerunner, poor choice of words on my part, should have went for the long version explanation. What I meant by being "native" is that there is often a definitive difference from people who were born and raised in the state (i.e. native) or having lived here a long time than those who moved here from more urban areas (almost everywhere else) and continue with the same attitudes. If you take offense to that, I'm sorry. it's been my observation over time and since it's true in many cases, I believe it to be a real thing.  That's not to say that native Vermonters and long term transplants can't also act like jerks, but by and large, Vermont people are friendly, down-to-earth-neighborly types. After 8 generations, I can assume you would know. ;-)

mirjo

« #10 : January 09, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »

Not to sound like a broken record, BUT we KNEW that  info a few years ago. Was it really going to change? What's the definition of stupidity/insanity? Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results? I'm happy to hear this, I no longer have kids in school, but I think it's important to keep up the good fight. I also think the SU needs to be held up under a better light. Not enough people (none usually) attend those meetings and I think the SI needs to get a clue that he's a public figure. It's within your rights to demand transparency in the SU practices/budget et-al. If enough people make a push something has to happen. It's like the shady bus garage deal, that kind of thing should have been out in the open up front--so what other things are being hidden. ???

No, I would keep my eye on that guy, attend SU meetings when possible, ask for full disclosure on budget issues and when he hedges, push a little. I saw how he behaved at the mtg I attended and wasn't impressed and have seen him at other BFA mtg.  Just a suggestion to all who are actively involved.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: