Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:05:17 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Barbara S Murphy
« previous next »
: [1]
: Barbara S Murphy  ( 4360 )
Barbara
: 270

« : October 27, 2014, 08:30:54 AM »

In introducing myself recently to a voter, I was asked if I was a Vermonter.  The answer is yes, and I would love to give a brief
bio of myself here.  I was born at the Mary Fletcher Hospital in Burlington in 1957, the youngest of four children to Levi and
Sybil Smith.  My childhood was a happy one; representative of the times, with extended family close and a mother who left her
career path to be the stay at home parent.  Civic duty was a keystone of our upbringing and I have several cousins who have
preceded me in Vermont leadership postitions.  As a teen I earned 100 service hours Candy Striping at the Degosbriand hospital
and later supported the Red Cross as a donor and volunteer.  I attended Burlington's public schools and graduated from the
University of Vermont where I received my bachelor of arts degree with a major in philosophy.

I was introduced to my husband by his sister, while she and I worked together at a Burlington pizza restaurant.  We married and
after renting apartments for a few years, bought our first Fairfax home just months before the birth of our son.  When our family
grew to four with our daughter's birth, we had to move to a bigger house but were determined to remain in Fairfax.  My desire to
stay in this community was again present in response to the display of support from Fairfax that helped me go forward at the
time of my husband's death.  I am still in the home we built in 1986. 

During my children's years at BFA I was involved in scouting and co-curricular activities as a volunteer and leader. My School
Board terms overlapped their earlier grades and as they entered high school I joined the list of substitute teachers.  It became
difficult to stay on the sub list once I was hired at the Post Office.  I also had to resign from my position as a Justice of the Peace
becasue a federal employee is forbidden to hold or run for an elected office that involves political parties.  My appointment on
the Development Review Board allowed me to continue to serve Fairfax in a position that was not in conflict with this law.

Last Halloween I retired from my position at the Post Office in order to be a candidate to the office of Representative for Fairfax.
Democrat and Republican members asked me to be their parties candidate and this was reflected in the primary election.
I have chosen to remain Independent.  My desire is to serve Fairfax as its representative, free to vote in our best interest.
« : October 27, 2014, 08:47:01 PM Barbara »
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : October 27, 2014, 08:38:07 AM »

Thank you, Barbara, nicely written.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #2 : October 27, 2014, 05:04:35 PM »

I like barb....drop the s..........happy.happy.happy
David Shea
: 471