Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:05:46 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Its A Sad Day For Us Old IBmers
« previous next »
: [1]
: Its A Sad Day For Us Old IBmers  ( 2891 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 21, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »

I have had three different Retired IBMers contact me and one stopped in to see me as we reminisced about the old days.  It was 57 years ago that a number of us originals as we were called at the local IBM Plant were hired.  We were not educated, most of us had just a high school education and a few only a grade school education.  We did not know what benefits were and people like myself were working 6 days a week and earning a salary of $50.  I remember we got the group rate of $18 a month for Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance. 

Every day was not a Happy Day and not all of our managers were wonderful people, but certainly better than most of the outside jobs.  We did not expect a lot from our employer and many of us spent a lot of our own time completing outside courses from UVM and Champlain College and there were also some courses we could take on our own time in the evening at the plant.  I worked at the local IBM plant starting on the assembly line on May 20, 1957 and retired on July 31, 1992 and never gave a thought to seeking work at another location or company.  I have had a truly wonderful life and am one of the fortunate ones that have retired for 22+ years on a pension provided by IBM, and enjoying every minute of it.

I have always felt bad when someone publically criticizes IBM, because they have done so much for me and I am sure that all of us originals feel the same way.  I still communicate with about 350 retired IBMers and this past week had to go down to Fletcher Allen Hospital and once again received the familiar "Hi Henry" as some retired IBMers recognized me an were doing volunteer work and wheeled me to my destination.  I am not sure how many retired people have the same bond that we old originals have, but it is truly wonderful to have these old friends drop in to see me when they come North for a visit.

In regards to recognition from IBM, I have a number of plaques and certificates that are stored away.  My thoughts are that I will just have to get those out and show them to the next person that complains about a company that has done so much for me.  We had quite a few originals here in Fairfax, that I can remember off the top of my head, being Lee Minor, Dalton Machia, David Minor, Jim Brown, Myself and I am sure I will think of quite a few more after I close this post.

A very special thank you to IBM,
My employer for 35+ years who has given me such a wonderful life.
« : October 21, 2014, 09:50:52 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : October 21, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »

A very nicely written tribute and reminiscence, Henry, thank you for sharing your memories and experiences!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: