Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:05:59 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Burglaries in the Area
« previous next »
: [1]
: Burglaries in the Area  ( 9415 )
ansbaker
: 36

« : September 26, 2014, 12:53:58 AM »

We are currently investigating recent burglaries in the areas of Westford, Cambridge, Jericho, Fairfax and Fletcher.  Items stolen include laptops, XBox, Playstations, headphones, cash (to include jars of change), etc.  I am looking for ANY information regarding suspicious behavior, activity or vehicles observed in the area.  We are pursuing any and all leads so if you saw something strange or out of place, please do not hesitate to send me an email so we can add it to our investigation.  These burglaries are most often solved through the vigilance of community members paying attention to what is going on in their communities.  Please feel free to email me with any information that you think might be helpful.

Thank you!

Tpr. Angela Baker
Vermont State Police
Email: angela.baker@state.vt.us.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : September 26, 2014, 07:40:27 AM »

Mary Kay & Josh, can you copy & paste any unusual events from the neighborhood watch here.  Links cannot be seen by non members, just in case Angela has not heard about them.

Henry Raymond
Judi
: 508

« #2 : September 26, 2014, 02:27:19 PM »

I don't know if this is worth mentioning but a large man driving a white vehicle stopped by the other night with a basket of goodies for me if i would listen to what he had to say. Of course I sent him on his way and I know such canvassing has been done in Fairfax in the past. My concern however with all the recent break-ins around is perhaps the basket in hand and speech is a way to canvass the area homes. Anyone else see any one with goodies to give away?
David Shea
: 471

« #3 : September 26, 2014, 05:44:54 PM »

Conversation take from Fairfax Neighborhood Watch on Facebook, original post is shown in bold.  Comments below.

Darlene Witte-Townsend
September 24 at 8:54pm

Does anyone know if the sheriff has taken reports, done write-ups or taken any fingerprints? Have there been incidents of forced entry?
LikeLike ·

Leebeth Ann Lemieux
They do not do finger prints. I think it is high time they step up to the plate and get proactive. Fingerprints are not proactive but it might give them a data base to be proactive. I am sick of seeing the police radar for speeders and mean while properties are being broke into. We have had way too many properties just in Fairfax have copper taken from. The police do not even go to the property when reported in some cases. How do they ever expect to catch the burglars?
    September 24 at 11:31pm · Like · 3

Josh L Langelier

I believe it comes down to resources. Local PDs and even state police don't have the resources to take prints and process every break in. Our States crime lab is under funded and staffed as it is. Sending them prints to be processed from every break in would drowned them in work. It would likely take a year to get the prints ran and even then there is a good chance the prints wouldn't be on file. As much as I wish like you that this could be done it just isn't a realistic expectation. Shows like CSI give us all a false sense as to what to expect from police and investigations.
    Yesterday at 6:18am · Like · 2

Josh L Langelier 
I agree with you though Ann. A shift in enforcement priorities is needed. I'm sure you heard of my ordeal with Steve Bessette's property. They didn't give a crap about his stuff until I found it.
    Yesterday at 6:22am · Like · 2

Thomas Oliver
More burglaries are solved with traffic enforcement than finger prints.
    Yesterday at 6:29am · Like · 2

Darlene Witte-Townsend

Have the police been writing up reports at least? Doesn't it just seem to give the criminals permission to do whatever they want if the police appear to be doing nothing? We had an incident at Eastfield a month ago, a forced entry. No report was taken. It seemed to be a very low key response. We were told that the value of goods taken was under $1500, so nothing would be done. The criminals know the procedures and we are sitting ducks?
    Yesterday at 7:44am · Edited · Like

David Shea
Leebeth Ann Lemieux, you're on the Selectboard, schedule Sheriff Norris to be at a board meeting, express your concerns. The town hires the sheriff's department at a yearly cost of $112,056.00. The selectboard can ask for changes in priorities. ( FYI, All of this has been done in the past. The frequency of the meetings was much less in my second year on the board. Bob Horr had both the Sheriff scheduled for quarterly meetings.)
    Yesterday at 8:53am · Edited · Like · 2

Darlene Witte-Townsend

If the criminals know that nothing will be done, nothing at all, why should they stop? If priorities have to be shifted, perhaps it is time. I was very surprised at the lack of police interest. If I were a criminal I would feel safe and protected.
    Yesterday at 9:00am · Like

Darlene Witte-Townsend

Ms. Lemieux, is it possible for you to do something positive?
    Yesterday at 9:02am · Unlike · 1

Fran Conlon
last time we were broken into and robbed, we didn't touch a thing. Waited 2 days for a cop to come. He wrote up a report and I asked if he was going to dust for prints. He looked at me like I was from another planet and said "what do you think we are...CSI???" This is what we pay for
    Yesterday at 9:24am · Like

David Shea

Darlene Witte-Townsend, attend a selectboard meeting to voice your concerns, this way they will be part of the video-taped meeting and part of public record that all community members can see. The selectboard has been advised by their attorney, that they are not required to read aloud any written letters from towns people.
    Yesterday at 9:26am · Like

Leebeth Ann Lemieux
At the last Selectboard meeting I did bring this subject up. I have also spoke about it when Lt Flanagan from the State Police came to a meeting. I will continue along with the Selectboard to try and find other ways we can be proactive. Open invitation for the public to attend Selectboard meetings.
    Yesterday at 11:51am · Like · 1

Stacy Wells
Sheriff Norris is tentatively on the agenda for the October 20th meeting. Please attend.
    Yesterday at 12:13pm · Like · 1

David Shea
Stacy Wells, Fairfax is very lucky to have such a dedicated and organized person working as the selectboard assistant.
    Yesterday at 12:18pm · Like

Terry Fanton Briant
Yeah they really hold to what they say 12/2 meeting and still being told they didnt say that even recorded on video!! Still looking for the water bill!! Its ok I vote!!!
    Yesterday at 12:37pm · Like

Stacy Wells
Thanks David. I try.
    10 hrs · Unlike · 1

Tom Feerick
112k a year. Couldnt you hire at least 2 full time cops for that much money who are interested in fighting crime rather than writing tickets?
    1 hr · Like
« : September 26, 2014, 05:48:30 PM David Shea »
sfc
: 46

« #4 : September 28, 2014, 12:59:45 PM »

thank you for posting this.. i have been hearing of burglaries and not reading about it anywhere.  this is comforting to finally hear something!!
ansbaker
: 36

« #5 : September 28, 2014, 09:03:07 PM »

Thank you for all of the information that has been sent my way so far regarding suspicious activity in the area.  I greatly appreciate the time and effort and I am compiling all of the information to see if there are any connections and similarities.  Please know that I do not have a Facebook account and do not check Facebook so if you have posted something there, I have not seen it. Please send any information that may be important to the burglary investigations to my email at:  Angela.Baker@state.vt.us.

Thank you!

Tpr. Angela Baker
Vermont State Police - Williston Barracks
Phone: (802)878-7111
Email: Angela.Baker@state.vt.us
sfc
: 46

« #6 : October 05, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »

Just saw this, dated yesterday
http://www.wptz.com/news/vermont-new-york/burlington/burglar-caught-by-homeowner-arrested/28411222
Burglar caught by homeowner, arrested
Lamoille County sheriff's deputies find man apprehended
Published  10:14 PM EDT Oct 04, 2014
Upon arrival, officers found the homeowner and the male suspect outside the residence, police said.
Police identified the suspect as 24-year-old as Joseph Ainsworth.
A search of Ainsworth's vehicle yielded a .40-caliber Smith Wesson handgun and ammunition, police said. The serial number confirmed the gun to be stolen.
Officers said Ainsworth admitted to the burglary at the home and to stealing the gun.
Officers also found illegal substances in the vehicle, police said.
According to the police department's press release, Ainsworth was arrested on charges of burglary, possession of stolen property, petit larceny and possession of a narcotic drug.

Read more: http://www.wptz.com/news/vermont-new-york/burlington/burglar-caught-by-homeowner-arrested/28411222#ixzz3FI0qVd5F
« : October 05, 2014, 12:36:11 PM Henry »
nhibbard
: 393

« #7 : October 06, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »

When my house was broken into, he was kind enough to take prints. He was honest and let me know the chances I'd ever see my old Xbox again were pretty much nil. Everything takes precedence over burglary so that's how the cookie crumbled.

Comparing everything to CSI is not unreasonable. A print can be imaged, points of reference noted and compared quickly to a database. I not sure why that seems so out there. You can quickly scan a QR code and see the details it hides, finger prints just needs to be scanned and converted. I'm pretty sure if they can drive at a reasonable speed and read dirty license plates, they can put a few more dollars into this.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: