Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:39:48 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Reviews
| | |-+  MOVIE: America imagine a world without her
« previous next »
: [1]
: MOVIE: America imagine a world without her  ( 11295 )
kpplus2

« : July 28, 2014, 06:52:35 AM »

What a great film went to view this film yesterday. Highly recommended, great history lesson, should be a must see for all BFA students. Check it out 

Here is the trailer     http://www.americathemovie.com/
« : July 28, 2014, 01:40:03 PM kpplus2 »
kevin
: 64

« #1 : October 24, 2014, 04:39:48 AM »

This movie should only be seen by those with a good understanding of American history.  D'Souza presents the information in a basic wrong/right indictment of a number of actions in the founding and history of America, for example Native American genocide, slavery, the annexing of the southwest from Mexico, wealth through conquest vs entrepreneurship.  These are complex issues that this movie does not have time to cover in depth.  I certainly hope that this is NOT shown in BFA Fairfax unless it is in a senior year AP course.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
-Winston Churchill
Thor

« #2 : October 24, 2014, 05:49:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be an issue with a Michael Moore or Harvey Weinstein film being shown to the BFA students though. Can't complete the indoctrination process if you show a film by D'Souza, as it might actually raise a question in some child's mind.
kpplus2

« #3 : October 24, 2014, 06:14:34 AM »

My Son was 12 and understood it perfectly and enjoyed the film. I teach my children all sides
kevin
: 64

« #4 : October 24, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »

I would have no issue if BFA wanted to show Canadian Bacon.  John Candy was great in that movie!  Harvey Weinstein's list of movies is too exhaustive to go through (almost 300 producer credits alone, thanks IMDb!) and I would have to say there are some on his list that I would object to being shown at BFA (for example Piranha 3D - why would this be shown in school?).  I would not call this movie a "history lesson" since D'Souza is not a historian.  A better description for the movie is political documentary, just as Moore's films are political documentaries.

I'm glad to see that you keep your children well rounded.  Hopefully they will be able to continue to keep an open mind as they get older.  I strive to do the same with my kids.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
-Winston Churchill
: [1]  
« previous next »
: