Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:55:54 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Fire Responding To Crystal Road
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Fire Responding To Crystal Road  ( 4276 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 22, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »

A camp fire is out of control & in the woods

Henry Raymond
Susanvt
: 8

« #1 : June 23, 2014, 08:59:30 AM »

Any additional info on this?  We used to live on that road, so curious...
Fireman David
: 41

« #2 : June 23, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »

This fire occurred when dry pine needles were ignited from the heat generated by a camp fire. The fire spread from the camp fire ring toward the stacked wood pile.

The homeowner reacted promptly and called for the Fire Department, and then proceeded to attempt to extinguish the fire.

With the use of a garden hose, the fire was brought under control by the time that the FD arrived on scene.

Even though the homeowner was able to bring the fire under control, he made a good decision to call for the FD immediately.

Often times people attempt to extinguish the before calling for help. This delay in calling for the FD, gives the fire time to spread and grow in intensity.

The earlier that the FD is called, the less the fire has a chance to spread, increasing the chances that fire loss can be minimized.

As long as we are on the subject.....I will take this opportunity to suggest some fire safety tips.

If you are having a campfire, or burning piles of brush, please have a garden hose handy, in case the fire starts to spread. Use a rake to clear any dry leaf litter away from where you are burning, and if conditions are dry, wet down any surrounding brush that could be inadvertently ignited.

Also, be sure to thoroughly wet down any remaining hot coals from your fire, once you are done burning, before leaving it unattended. Even if you think your fire has burned itself out, it is possible for the wind to stir up the remaining hot coals, causing the fire to flare up and spread, several hours after you have finished burning.

Please visit the Fire Department section of the Fairfax VT web page for contact information, and for more information regarding open burning in the Town of Fairfax.

http://www.fairfax-vt.gov/index.asp?SEC=91A7B699-B6C5-4F18-951C-B5EDDD7BE4F6&DE=128F4298-1271-457F-A280-2114DE09E4BA&Type=B_BASIC

Respectfully,

David Raymond
Battalion Chief, FXFD

Scott
: 152

« #3 : June 23, 2014, 05:00:16 PM »

I always have several 5 gallon buckets filled with water as well as a charged hose when I burn in my fire pit up back. Not worth the risk.

Regards,
Scott
: [1]  
« previous next »
: