Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 04:03:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
48347 Posts in 18336 Topics by 515 Members
Latest Member: Sandy Alexander
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Town Office News
| |-+  News From Fairfax Town Office
| | |-+  Looking For Town Website - Click On Link Inside This Post
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looking For Town Website - Click On Link Inside This Post  (Read 6251 times)
Henry
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:11:10 AM »

Henry Raymond
nhibbard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 06:10:46 AM »

I still want to know why there is a dash in there.
CathyL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »

If you look at a few towns in Vermont, such as Montpelier, the URL is similar. It most likely is the type of website they have joined. I am sure someone in town would be able to confirm or correct my assumption.
lena6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:04:41 AM »

Does it matter?
nhibbard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »

It does if you want ease of use. How many sites have you ever seen with a dash. .Gov offers suggestions but if you look anywhere there are almost no dashes for good reason. Ease of access.
lena6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 08:38:53 AM »

Glad we have the web site, with or without the -.
Fireman David

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:15:10 PM »

I had the same question as to why we had to have the dash (-) in our address, when we were in the process of setting up the web page.

The following is what I learned when we went through the process of establishing the fairfax-vt.gov web page;

Because we chose to go with a .gov address we had to go through the General Services Administration (GSA).

The GSA has control over all .gov addresses.

State entities have the rights to domains using their two letter postal codes, (for example; VT, NH, NY, etc...) as part of their address with-out the dash.

City's and Towns within their respective States are considered to be “second-level” domains, and as such are required to add the dash in-between their Town name and their two letter postal code.

This was done to standardize the criteria for issuing .gov addresses.

One of the benefits to the oversight on all .gov web addresses, is that it will prevent issues that other municipalities have run into when they allowed there domain to expire, and a third party came in and bought to rights to their address, before the municipality even knew they lost it ( This happened in VT not to long ago).  Only State and Local Government entities are able to acquire .gov addresses, and the name of the address must be approved by the GSA.

City's and Towns that established their .gov addresses prior to the current regulations taking effect were not made to change their existing address.
Henry
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »

You do a great job Dave.  I for one am very happy to have the Town have its own web site and maintain it.

Henry Raymond
nhibbard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 10:09:26 PM »

I'm appreciative of all the work Dave has done on the site as well. I'm just slightly annoyed that during the process of putting together the paperwork for the site and suggesting names and why they were important, not once was this name suggested. I think anyone who put in all the upfront time and effort to get this kind of project going would be as well.

(b) The preferred format for county or parish governments is to denote the State postal code after
the county or parish, optionally separated by a dash.
Examples of preferred domain names include--
(1) Richmondcounty-ga.gov;
(2) Pwc-county-va.gov; and
(3) Countyofdorchestor-sc.gov.

Naming Conventions: Naming conventions are described in depth in the following parts of the published policy: §102-173.55 - § 102-173.60. The rules for local-government domains are the following:
The preferred format is "CityName-StatePostalCode.gov":
Example: Tyler-tx.gov or TylerTX.gov
mirjo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »

This is general act 148 info:

http://cswd.net/about-cswd/universal-recycling-law-act-148/

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:19:36 PM by Henry » Logged

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: