Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:34:27 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  FAIRFAX SCHOOL BOARD BUDGET UPDATE
« previous next »
: [1]
: FAIRFAX SCHOOL BOARD BUDGET UPDATE  ( 5708 )
Franklin West SU
: 102

« : May 23, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »

AFTER THE SECOND FAILED SCHOOL BUDGET VOTE, THE SCHOOL BOARD HAS MADE THE FOLLOWING REDUCTIONS IN THE BUDGET:
•   Reduced provision for staff raises (-$41K).     
•   We made assumptions on staff raises when we built the budget.  After two failed budgets and hearing community concern over salaries, we have reduced this amount.
•   Eliminated proposed Director of Special Services position (- $86,626) 
•   We heard clearly from the community that another administrator position would not be supported.  In FY15, the state is requiring that oversight of all special education services move to FWSU.  This next year we will use grant funding to fully examine our current staffing patterns and service delivery model for possible restructuring options that would maximize outcomes for our students.
•   Eliminated 3.0 FTE Elem/Middle Special Education Paraprofessionals (-$53K)
•   We conducted a detailed study of all educational plans for our special education students.  We found areas of cost savings so were able to eliminate these positions. 
•   Eliminated 1.0 FTE High School Paraprofessional position (-$20K)
•   This position provided oversight for our Virtual High School (online courses) program as well as the writing lab.  We have found that students do not need this level of support so the position was eliminated.
•   Reduced High School Computer Teacher 0.13 FTE (-$7K)
•   We found that students were not signing up for this class so were able to reduce a portion of this position.
•   Reduced replacement iPad purchases (-$50K)
•   When we started with our iPad program for students we anticipated a 3-year replacement cycle.  We are now entering year 4 of this program and feel that a 4-year replacement cycle is possible.
•   Trimmed Co-Curricular Supplies and Salaries (-$10K)

•   We have several coaching positions in our budget for additional teams if needed.  We have not used these positions as expected so are able to reduce this area along with some co-curricular supplies.
•   Eliminated High School Teacher Leadership stipends (-$5K)
•   Our current budget included salary provision for some teacher leaders at the high school level.  We did not use this money this year so it was felt we could defer this cost while we look at other teacher leader options.
•   Shift Funding for Substance Abuse Prevention position to FWSU grant (-$6K)
•   We were able to access additional funding for our Substance Abuse Prevention position through a grant at FWSU.
•   Reduce provision for NEASC High School accreditation visit (-$5K)
•   Our high school accreditation team will be visiting this fall and we were able to find a lower cost option for them.

The budget that will be voted on next Wednesday has a 2.02% increase over our current fiscal year’s budget.

Please vote on 5/28. Polls will be open 7am-7pm at the BFA MS Gym. Absentee ballots are available by calling 849-6111.

Thank you,
Members of the Fairfax School Board
ohhman
: 469

« #1 : May 23, 2014, 07:01:59 PM »

I questioned before & I question again: why another kindergarden teacher when enrollment shows a few years back we had more children than we do now in elementary than we do now;  guess I'd like to see the enrollment for the class now & what it is projected to be.  I could not attend the meeting due to other commitments but I have been attending when possible, following & voting.  But I need to say the board has made every effort & made cuts; kudos to you who are so dedicated!
nhibbard
: 393

« #2 : May 23, 2014, 08:07:11 PM »

Well if budgets just keep passing and only the people who made the budget know what's in it, nothing will change until it's rejected and questions are asked. Look at the train wreck in Burlington. Now they have to pay 4 years of superintendent salary in two years. All public budgets need to be questioned more. Congrats to the board for minimizing increases and cutting some proposed costs. I hope everyone comes out to vote.
Counselor
: 55

« #3 : May 24, 2014, 05:07:35 AM »

I questioned before & I question again: why another kindergarden teacher when enrollment shows a few years back we had more children than we do now in elementary than we do now;  guess I'd like to see the enrollment for the class now & what it is projected to be.  I could not attend the meeting due to other commitments but I have been attending when possible, following & voting.  But I need to say the board has made every effort & made cuts; kudos to you who are so dedicated!

I am not sure of the exact numbers, but there are a couple issues at work.  First the board has set a max on the number of students in kindergarten BEFORE they hire a new teacher. That number was 65 I believe spread among 3 teachers. They have passed that number this year and each teacher currently has or has over 22 students. Though each class currently has a classroom aid, it is still a very large number for Kindergarten. I don't know for 100% sure, but I do not think they are increasing overall staff, just reassigning a third grade teacher who would like to work with that team. Again, I could be wrong in this last piece.  22 students in kindergarten though, quite a large number.
dvallett
: 55

« #4 : May 26, 2014, 11:00:50 AM »

SPOT ON kpplus2 and nhibbard ... well said!
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #5 : June 04, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »

Just a note for thought - I was recently reviewing my class school photos and our teachers averaged 20 students in 1976 for 1st grade and ALL of the kids were in Kindergarten and Pre-school together in one class and not broken up. 

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: