Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:11:00 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Are You Smarter Than A Chipmunk??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Are You Smarter Than A Chipmunk??  ( 3364 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 02, 2007, 07:28:48 PM »

Or I should say, "Am I Smarter Than A Chipmunk?

When it all started, it was a cute little chipmunk frisking around in front of my picture window, very entertaining.

Then I noticed my rose blossoms were disappearing and twigs were broken, could it be the chipmunk??

Then I noticed some shredded pieces of something on the garage floor near the door, but couldn't figure out what it was.

When I went in the garage, something whisked by me and I knew it was the dam chipmunk. When I raised the garage door, I noticed that in the corner it had chewed away the bottom corner of the weatherstripping and that is what I saw shredded on the garage floor.

Enough, is enough. I did some research on the Internet and what appears to be a sweet, cute little animal can really cause a lot of damage. Not only that, they bring in their friends and it only gets worse from there. They gave a number of solutions, but the best one seemed to be to use a Havahart trap, so its off to J & L Hardware and Jeff fixes me right up for around $31 with tax, but it will be worth it. Spent two days of having the trap tripped, checking and no chipmunk, resetting over and over again. Then I saw the chipmunk trip the trap and just lift the door and go right out. Figured I had better re-read my directions on resetting the trap and sure enough, I forgot to set the door lock.

Fifteen minutes later, I am smarter than a chipmunk and in the above picture you can see the proof.

Well, the instructions said, its best to drop them off at least five miles away, so I put the trap in the car and headed off over the Swamp Road, up Woodward Road, across Buck Hollow Road and stopped away from houses in a wooded area. I took my cooler out and put the trap on top of it and took the picture above. I was going to open the door as I squatted in the middle of the dirt road and take a picture of the chipmunk as it scooted off into the wilderness. Well, wouldn't you know it, a car came along on this deserted dirt road, stopped and asked if I had a problem. Well, I was looking at the dam problem in the Havahart cage and sheepishly told the lady I was letting a chipmunk loose out in the woods and had driven about five miles to do so. The lady told me she just wanted to make sure I was O.K., as she drove off. God!! I hope I don't see her again. I was soooooooo embarrassed. Needless to say, I opened the trap, let the chipmunk go and didn't bother trying to take another picture. As I was turning around, a pickup truck and another car came along and I met a couple more cars on the way out of there. Oh Well!!! so much for deserted roads and quietly getting rid of a chipmunk, but bottom line, although I had my doubts for a while:

"I AM SMARTER THAN A CHIPMUNK."
[/b]

Henry Raymond
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #1 : July 03, 2007, 07:27:56 AM »

Driving around with a chipmunk and a cooler....you might be a red.......(we all know how this ends!) :):):)

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
trussell
: 870

« #2 : July 06, 2007, 01:44:38 AM »

Glad you got your chipmunk! For anyone else that needs it, the Town Constable should also have a hav-a-hart trap to lend out.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
: [1]  
« previous next »
: