Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:23:41 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  BFA SCHOOL BUDGET REVOTE INFORMATION
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3 ... 5
: BFA SCHOOL BUDGET REVOTE INFORMATION  ( 53365 )
Franklin West SU
: 102

« : March 18, 2014, 11:13:49 AM »

A revote on the Fairfax School District Budget is set for Thursday, April 10th. The polls will be open for Australian Ballot voting between 7am-7pm in the Old Gymnasium at BFA Fairfax (view official warning at http://bit.ly/1gxT41C). If you need an absentee ballot, contact the Town Clerk at 849-6111.

Please attend an informational meeting and budget presentation on Monday, March 31st at 6:30pm in the Elementary Gym at BFA Fairfax. Come share your questions and learn about the reductions reflected in the revised school budget proposal.
monte198
: 79

« #1 : March 18, 2014, 05:17:12 PM »

Can absentee ballots be pickup at the town office.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #2 : March 18, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »

how much was it reduced by?
Barbara
: 270

« #3 : March 18, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »

I would like to offer an opinion that may not be popular here.  The board did look at reductions and took some, but due to more current information there was a small addition made to the budget as well.  The people who attended the board meeting following the town meeting vote seemed to be supportive of funding our school system.  I beg everyone who is a registered voter to come do their duty and vote on the 10th of April.  The board members are towns people who have agreed to step up and do a job for our community that needs doing.  The least we can do is make time to cast our ballot, again on April 10th.  You can even request an absentee ballot if you can't make it to the polls.  If more than 20% of the eligible voters actually vote, yes that is about what turned out for the first vote, the vote might a better statement of our communities intent.  And if you haven't registered to vote, do so!  Again, a few people step up and fill the positions that help guide our community, the least we can all do is vote.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : March 18, 2014, 08:05:22 PM »

Monte - You can not pick up absentee ballots at the town office unless you want to vote right there.  Otherwise Absentee Ballots will be mailed to the individual you are requesting them for  and can be hand carried back in.  You can also call the Town Office and they will mail out the ballot to any registered Fairfax Voter after they check the list to make sure they are on it.

Henry Raymond
kpplus2

« #5 : March 18, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »

"but due to more current information there was a small addition made to the budget as well."

The budget got voted down due to an increase higher then inflation request. The answer was " well the union says teacher pay raises are mandatory". So the answer was cut student freshman sports and a sound system. What? Listen when family budgets are tight and you have not received a raise that equals what the teachers get then how can you vote yes? Stop threatenting cutting student activities and go back to the "house" and see what can be cut in School. Go to the union and do pay freezes like all of us have had to deal with. Before you go outside clean up the inside an I'll bet you will find many ways to make easy cuts. a .4% cut doesn't cut it in my opinion stop going for emotion votes and start looking at the numbers. It amazes me that the school budget vote gets voted down however a full-time rec department director gets a split. keep in mind with a yes vote Ms. K gets a full-time job with full health benefits for her and her family. Can we afford this at this point when we are struggling to pass a school budget? Come on folks lets be smart with our money. Remember when you vote you are writing a check for the town; to the town. if you feel you can write the check then vote for all budgets. If you feel you need to save a bit then vote accordingly.
tfence
: 257

« #6 : March 19, 2014, 06:00:23 AM »

"but due to more current information there was a small addition made to the budget as well."

The budget got voted down due to an increase higher then inflation request. The answer was " well the union says teacher pay raises are mandatory". So the answer was cut student freshman sports and a sound system. What? Listen when family budgets are tight and you have not received a raise that equals what the teachers get then how can you vote yes? Stop threatenting cutting student activities and go back to the "house" and see what can be cut in School. Go to the union and do pay freezes like all of us have had to deal with. Before you go outside clean up the inside an I'll bet you will find many ways to make easy cuts. a .4% cut doesn't cut it in my opinion stop going for emotion votes and start looking at the numbers. It amazes me that the school budget vote gets voted down however a full-time rec department director gets a split. keep in mind with a yes vote Ms. K gets a full-time job with full health benefits for her and her family. Can we afford this at this point when we are struggling to pass a school budget? Come on folks lets be smart with our money. Remember when you vote you are writing a check for the town; to the town. if you feel you can write the check then vote for all budgets. If you feel you need to save a bit then vote accordingly.
well said. don't fear the union. that is where the cuts have to be made. That is what the people want.

We are here for all your Outdoor Living Needs.
visit us at http://feerickfence.com/
also check us out on facebook
kpplus2

« #7 : March 19, 2014, 06:42:57 AM »

Rod The budget was reduced by $65,675. Is that enough? I would like to know in dollars what the average property tax would go up for any decisions. I think that would be cool info printed next to each line item we vote on. "Does the town approve the bla bla bla" then next to it it says " this will raise the average homes property taxes $150 per year". A literal cost attached to a vote. Who knows.  .  . 
Barbara
: 270

« #8 : March 19, 2014, 06:54:30 AM »

There was no definitive reason for the budget defeat other than more people voted no.  I was at the board meeting where this was discussed and several of the people present were supportive of the budget without any cuts at all.  I would remind everyone to make sure they are entered in the property tax adjustment program.  The forms are filed with our income tax.  This program ensures those of us whose income is under $105000 are protected in the percent of our income we have to pay towards the school tax.  Our school directors enter the budget process with every intent to minimize the cost to our community while maintaining a strong system.  I support their efforts towards this goal.
« : March 19, 2014, 07:18:41 AM Barbara »
lena6
: 357

« #9 : March 19, 2014, 07:57:40 AM »

Why does the School Board always threaten us with cutting sports?  Why not cut salaries, supplies, or many other things.  I am so sick of paying such high school taxes.  Do not take away sports from our kids.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #10 : March 19, 2014, 08:03:13 AM »

I agree Lena. It appears if the town is not happy with the budget, they cut things at the expense of the children and threaten more cuts to the kids if this budget does not go through.

I understand from hearing from several in the community that they voted the budget down because of the raises. Many of our towns people are down an income or got 0% for a raise so they are not in agreement with this budget.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
tfence

« #11 : March 19, 2014, 08:04:29 AM »

Does anyone have the dollar amount and % related to staff raises and benefits?

mmatthews
: 15

« #12 : March 19, 2014, 09:47:52 AM »

I am a federal employee and we just got our first pay increase in two years and it was only 1% to make up for cost of living after a two year freeze.  I am a big believer in making cuts and freezes from the top down, not in programs for the students... meaning we should start with leadership like the principals and work down.  This could very well mean re-negotiating with the union.   When reading the remarks on the other thread by Rachael Levau it did feel like they (the school board) is almost threatening us (the voters) that if this budget doesnt pass the kids will pay... this may not be how she meant it but i find this unacceptable.  I also found it funny where she said often these teachers are your neigbors and refusing them a raise is like telling your neighbor sorry you cant have more money....well i wouldnt mind going to said neighbor and saying I'm sorry, I just recieved the first pay increase in three years and it was only 1%, do you think you can lay off a little so we can afford to pay you?  I admire and cherish our teachers but I think in some instances we need to take in account the economic situation of the community and be reasonable.  That said, I'm hoping I can make it to the next meeting before the vote and hope a lot of the townspeople can go so the school board can hear from the voters the reasons they voted no.  Hopefully they can take the feedback into account and fix the issues so the budget can pass.   
tfence

« #13 : March 19, 2014, 10:50:01 AM »

I hope nobody is taking all this personal. The state is working on a proposal to fund the single payer healthcare with a substantial increase on property tax in addition to a 1% tax increase across the board this week. This government spending has to end. Local school budgets are something we have voting control over at the moment. Those teachers in our community are also property owners in our community, right. As a community I would take it personal if you only cut items that directly affect the students without considering looking at the biggest ticket item in the budget.
« : March 19, 2014, 10:52:07 AM tfence »

logical
: 141

« #14 : March 19, 2014, 11:46:33 AM »

I too am a federal employee and have just had first pay increase of 1% in 3 years.  Did I like not having a pay increase?  Absolutely not!  However, in knowing how the economy has affected everybody and realizing I could be without any job it was a sacrifice I was willing to make.  I understood the need for no pay increase.  I didn't like it, but I dealt with it knowing that that $$ would be used elsewhere.  I would think that be freezing teachers salaries they too would have the same feelings - they wouldn't like it but would understand it's either their paychecks or the students education.  Just my 2 cents.
: [1] 2 3 ... 5  
« previous next »
: