Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:56:30 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Fund Raisers
| | |-+  BFA Scholars' Bowl Team Qualifies for National Tournament and Needs YOUR Help!!
« previous next »
: [1]
: BFA Scholars' Bowl Team Qualifies for National Tournament and Needs YOUR Help!!  ( 10927 )
vtgoober
: 18

« : February 23, 2014, 06:03:21 AM »

In October, the BFA-Fairfax Scholars' Bowl team qualified to attend the Small School National Championship Tournament based on their performance at a VT-NEA Scholars' Bowl regional tournament.  The tournament will be held in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota on May 2-4, 2014.  It is our goal to send this team of student to Minnesota to compete.  In order to achieve this goal, we will need to raise approximately $3500 to cover registration, airfare, and lodging for the team.  We hope that YOU will be able to help the team of high school students achieve this goal.  We have received $1300 from BFA-Fairfax Co-Curricular and Enrichment funds so far to cover registration costs and a portion of the hotel costs, but we are still need to raise $2300 in order for the students to be able to attend.  We are hoping to receive sponsorships from a variety of groups, individuals, and organizations to help provide the funding for this opportunity. 

BFA has qualified for a National Tournament only one other time in the 10 years that we have had a Scholars' Bowl team.  For a variety of reasons, that year we opted to attend a more regional tournament at Yale University instead of traveling to the National event in Atlanta.  The students enjoyed being on the Yale campus and competing in the event, but, honestly, being a small school from Northern Vermont, we were a little overwhelmed by the larger schools and prep schools that we met.  The tournament in Minnesota will pit us against schools that are similar in size to BFA-Fairfax, which will make the competition more equitable and enjoyable for the students.  While traveling to Minnesota does add to the cost of attendance, the experience at the tournament and in the city (and nearby Mall of America!) will be invaluable to the students. 

We hope that you will consider supporting our trip to the Small Schools National Championship Tournament in Minnesota.  The students have worked hard to qualify for the event and will continue to prepare to compete at the highest level.  Your donation will help us get there.  Any and all financial support will be beneficial and greatly appreciated.  Please contact me if you have any questions or require any additional information.  Thank you for your consideration and support.

Sincerely,
John Tague
BFA Scholars' Bowl Coach

Donations can be sent to:

BFA-Fairfax Scholars' Bowl Team
c/o John Tague
75 Hunt Street
Fairfax, VT  05454

Thank you!
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : February 23, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »

John, can you tell us who the students are?
vtgoober

« #2 : February 25, 2014, 06:11:01 AM »

I don't believe I am able to post their names. 
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #3 : February 25, 2014, 07:53:18 AM »

Thank you!!!
Barbara
: 270

« #4 : February 25, 2014, 10:17:14 AM »

This sounds like a wonderful, and well earned opportunity.  I am curious to know the number of students and chaperones that will be going.  When sports teams travel to championships is there any portion of the cost asked as a contribution from the participants?  When do you need to have the total sum committed by?  You will have my support in sharing the message as well as from my wallet.  Thank you for being the teacher you are.
vtgoober

« #5 : February 26, 2014, 08:09:28 AM »

Thank you! 
There will be six students and the chaperone/coach paid for.  An additional parent is going on their own to be a second chaperone.  We have to have funds raised no later than the beginning of April.  There isn't a set per family contribution, but each family will both contribute as each is able and assist with raising funds through family/friend contributions and seeking sponsors. 
Thank you again!!
vtgoober

« #6 : February 26, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »

Another way to donate is through a gofundme site created by one of the students' family:

http://www.gofundme.com/759tmk?pc=tw_p2

Thank you all for your support!
vtgoober

« #7 : March 07, 2014, 06:19:29 AM »

A big thank you to everyone who has contributed to the trip so far!  We have received close to $3200 so far!!!
The gofundme site will be closed at the end of the weekend, but donations can still be sent to the address listed above!
Thank you again....the team is very excited!!!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: