Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:36:10 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Garbage Pick up this week/Flyers/Missing Recycle Bins
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Garbage Pick up this week/Flyers/Missing Recycle Bins  ( 21881 )
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« : December 30, 2013, 05:28:15 PM »

Due to the extreme weather conditions the flyer was delayed in getting out.  Fairfax residents should be receiving it tomorrow in the mail. I having a crazy week myself completely understand the delay.

The trash schedule this week due to the holiday is if you normally get your trashed picked up on Wednesday, they will pick it up Thursday.
If you normally get your trash picked up Thursday, it will be picked up Friday.

If your recycle bin was taken by Casella, a call has been made to them in regards to this. If it is a larger one that you received directly from them and not the town of Fairfax, you will be able to get a new one at the Town Office. These will not be the large ones. They are currently out of them but getting more soon.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
mkr
Administrator

« #1 : December 30, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »

The flyer had to be approved. Once approved labels had to be printed and given so they could be applied and mailed. The weather and power outages took havoc on everyone. I personally had a hell week myself and I was on vacation thru it.

Please understand that I am giving a short form explanation and I ask you to please not shoot the messenger (me) and make this a place to tear apart what I wrote. This was a courtesy as I see no one else placed a phone call and gathered information.

Thank you all.

Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #2 : December 31, 2013, 06:22:38 AM »

Well, I am glad for the information!  I was going to follow what I had always done: put the trash out on Thursday because WEdnesday is a holiday.  Simple things often take longer to do than one would think.  All's well that ends well.  Thank you Mary Kay for giving us the scoop on the trash!
gkmcnall
: 130

« #3 : January 01, 2014, 08:38:46 AM »

We received Duffy's flyer yesterday and it appears Casella collected more recycables than Duffy will unless I did not read correctly. If my understanding is correct, no paper or newspaper or cardboard can be recycled?  Can someone from Duffy's or the Selectboard clarify this?  Thank you -Karen
beth
: 5

« #4 : January 01, 2014, 08:52:18 AM »

The flyer states "Mixed paper, including cardboard."

Duffy's website also has a pdf of acceptable recyclables.

http://duffyswaste.com/images/recycle2.pdf

-Beth
« : January 01, 2014, 09:27:44 AM Henry »
ohhman
: 469

« #5 : January 01, 2014, 10:36:03 AM »

They do collect it Karen, it's the way they printed their flyer & the "Mixed paper, including cardboard" was on the top of the 2nd column rather than directly under the (SSR) list in the first column.
David Shea
: 471

« #6 : January 01, 2014, 03:15:36 PM »

Happy New Year.
The contract that was negotiated with Duffy's encourages all of us to recycle as much as possible.  Duffy's is supplying the labor and equipment to pick up and transport our recyclables and trash to the appropriate facilities.  The town will be invoiced separately for landfill, recycling and labor cost.  The cost to dispose of our trash or recycling is as follows.

1)  $71.58 per ton for trash on a monthly basis
2)  $10.00 per ton for recycled materials.

As you can see there is a $61.58 per ton difference in what Fairfax pays to dispose of trash vs recycling.  Please do you best to increase your recycling rates as much as possible.  The more we recycle as a town, will now directly benefit us all in lower solid waste cost.

This arrangement will reward Fairfax for increased recycling, it will also give us accurate records of how much trash is being generated vs recycling.  The state of Vermont has passed Act 148, Universal Recycling (Act 148) is the new solid waste legislation that focuses on recyclables and organics.  This act will reward generators that increase recycling rates as well as curb organic waste from the landfill.  Act 148 can be found on the VT Agency of Natural Resources Web site:

Universal Recycling (Act 148) is the new solid waste legislation that focuses on recyclables and organics

Duffy's Waste & Recycling Web Site

http://www.duffyswaste.com/index.htm

David Shea
Selectman
« : January 02, 2014, 06:49:56 AM David Shea »
gkmcnall
: 130

« #7 : January 01, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »

Thanks for all the information.  Hoping for a smooth transition.
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #8 : January 02, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »

Well, it is 3:45 and the trash is still waiting on our road!! Hope they haven't forgotten us!
mkr
Administrator

« #9 : January 02, 2014, 04:19:04 PM »

Patience Rev. Elizabeth. First day extreme cold and lots of extra trash thanks to Casella last week not taking a lot of ours.

I see the trucks out and feel awful for them out in this cold.

ssweet
: 293

« #10 : January 02, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »

Ours was picked up early afternoon with one truck instead of two having to travel the roads and they were hustling.  Boy what a cold job today.
ohhman
: 469

« #11 : January 02, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »

Well, it's 4:53 here & garbage still  by side of road & usually it is gone by 9am the latest; I  hope they are all safe as it's so cold out there &  surely wouldn't want their job, BUT we were reassured all would be done as the same in the past.   MK, not sure what you meant saying Casella not taking a lot of ours; on the roads I traveled, trash was gone.  Just hope the snow plows don't bury it in before they pick up.
AbbeyC
: 15

« #12 : January 02, 2014, 04:57:50 PM »

It's 5 and our trash has yet to be picked up as well
7F24
: 253

« #13 : January 02, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »

5:24    I called Duffy's at 4:15.....they closed at 4.  Recycle bins are heavier now than they were when I put them out this a.m.   We may not be getting our trash picked up like we used to...but we are saving money.
Judi
: 508

« #14 : January 02, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »

They picked up ours on River Rd around 4:30 or 5:00. To be very clear, this is not a complaint, just informing that they are still out there!
« : January 02, 2014, 07:30:23 PM Judi »
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: