Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:58:14 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Carbon Monoxide Scare
« previous next »
: [1]
: Carbon Monoxide Scare  ( 3419 )
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« : December 22, 2013, 07:34:51 PM »

This evening the Fairfax Fire Department responded to a home that had been without power since 6am for a carbon monoxide alarm.  Due to loss of power they had rigged up alternative sources by having a generator running inside the garage.

Upon arrival crews found lethal levels of CO within the home. Fortunately we were able to mitigate the problem, ventilate and arrange for alternative housing with a family member for the resident.  As storm clean up continues please ensure that if you have or know of folks still without power that if they are using alternative sources of heat or electricity that are doing so safely and with caution having proper battery powered CO and Smoke alarms working within the residence.

There are some folks whom are serviced by VELCO who as of 4pm this afternoon our department was advised that some of those people may not have power back until 12/24.

Justin Hayes, CFI
Fire Chief

Norton
: 85

« #1 : December 23, 2013, 08:59:57 AM »

It's worth noting that the natural flow of air in cold weather moves air from an attached garage into the house, almost never in the other direction.  The interface between the garage and house is never completely airtight.  Generators should never be used in attached garages, even with the overhead doors open.  There were deaths a few years ago in Underhill from a generator in an attached garage.  The overhead doors were open, but that didn't keep the CO from migrating into the house.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #2 : December 23, 2013, 04:59:30 PM »

kondor....sad very sad
: [1]  
« previous next »
: