Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:21:13 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Snowstorm
« previous next »
: [1]
: Snowstorm  ( 4750 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : November 24, 2013, 05:31:42 AM »

Throughout the evening of 11-23-13 Troopers from the Williston Barracks responded to numerous calls of vehicles involved in crashes along I89.  These calls included vehicles that had slid off the interstate as well as single vehicle and multiple vehicle crashes.  Causes of the crashes included driving too fast for conditions, following too closely, and equipment (summer tires).  During this time portions of I89 from mile marker 68 to 105, Rt 2 in Williston, and Rt 15 in Essex and Jericho were nearly impassible.  The heavy traffic blocking the roads in the areas effected the worse by the ice and snow made it increasingly difficult for the Agency of Transportation to clear and treat the roadways.

The Vermont State Police would like to remind motorists to prepare for winter driving.  This includes vehicle inspections and tire inspections to ensure the vehicle is equipped for winter travel.

In addition people should plan on additional travel time due to the road conditions and only drive when necessary.  Lastly, slow down, increase following distance between vehicles.  And, as always wear your seat belts.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #1 : November 24, 2013, 05:35:17 AM »

Vermont State Police Search and Rescue, Mad River Valley Rescue, Waterbury Backcountry Rescue and Sugarbush Ski Operations are in the process of looking for lost hikers that may be in distress.  It is believed they are in the vicinity of the Long Trail on the Warren Fayston town line.  Search crews are currently making their way to the location we believe the subjects were located when they  called 911, asking for assistance.  Due to the brief phone call, it is undetermined how many people are in need of assistance.  Anyone who has any knowledge of overdue hikers in the Waitsfield Valley area, please contact the Middlesex State Police at 802-229-9191.

Thank you for any information and assistance you can provide.

Middlesex State Police
1080 US RT 2
Middlesex, VT
802-229-9191

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #2 : November 24, 2013, 05:39:49 AM »

7:22pm

Please be advised 89 NB and SB from Exit 18 down to Exit 5 (basically Williston and Middlesex State Police coverage area) is extremely slick with white out conditions in some spots.

Rt 100 , Rt 2, Rt 15 are all icy as well.   Please slow down for conditions.  Please don't travel if it isn't necessary.

Some roads have stand still traffic due to multiple slide offs and accidents.  Please be patient, don't use the U turns as they are for Emergency Vehicles only.

We will continue to update as we have more information.

Thank you for your assistance.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #3 : November 24, 2013, 05:41:00 AM »

8:55pm

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT 89 NB AND SB FROM EXIT 11 TO EXIT 16 ARE EXTREMELY ICY AND AT A  STAND STILL.

VT RT 15 IN JERICHO IS ALSO AT A STAND STILL.

189 EAST BOUND ( RT 7 HEADED TOWARD DORSET ST) IS EXTREMELY ICY.

PLEASE AVOID THESE ROADWAYS WHENEVER POSSIBLE.   THE HIGHWAY TRUCKS AND POLICE ARE HAVING DIFFICULTY ATTENDING TO ACCIDENTS AND THE ROADS
DUE TO THE VOLUME OF TRAFFIC.  IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TRAVEL, DON'T.  IF IT IS A NECESSITY, PLEASE AVOID THESE ROUTES.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #4 : November 25, 2013, 06:28:33 AM »

DATE/TIME: 11/23/13 at 18:24 hours
INCIDENT: Missing Person

VICTIMS: Jay Blanchard and Christina Sweet, Burlington, VT.

SUMMARY OF INCIDENT:
On the above date and time Jay Blanchard called 911 advising that he and his hiking partner were lost on Camel's Hump and needed help. The call lasted approximately 12 seconds and was dropped prior to being able to ascertain any more information. Repeated attempts at calling the number back were unsuccessful. Cell phone coordinates placed the call on or near the Long Trail in the Sugarbush area.

Local search and rescue teams checked the area of the cell phone coordinates but did not locate the hikers. At the same time police were attempting to locate Mr. Blanchard's vehicle at various trailhead parking areas for Camel's Hump but did not locate the vehicle.

Shortly after searching the section of the Long Trail, Vermont State Police received a call from Mr. Blanchard advising that he and his hiking partner had found their way back to their vehicle but did not have cell service for quite some time before finally being able to call. Both parties were fine and did not require medical attention and returned home.

Sergeant Roger E. Farmer
Vermont State Police
Troop A Middlesex
802-229-9191

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Travis
: 141

« #5 : November 25, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »

I can't believe we only got a dusting of snow after how bad it was coming down.

We went to the movies in Essex Saturday afternoon and were heading back home at 6pm. For most of the drive, visibility was virtually non-existent. It was a complete white out. I drove at about 10-15 mph until a car came up behind me. I pulled over to let them pass and then followed their tail lights at about 20 mph. Luckily I have studded snow tires, but they don't help much when you can't see the road.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: