Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:24:58 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Reviews
| | |-+  Kingston SSD (Solid State Drive) Kit
« previous next »
: [1]
: Kingston SSD (Solid State Drive) Kit  ( 8902 )
nhibbard
: 393

« : January 23, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »

Solid state drives live up to their reputation. The drive I got was 128Gb which is small compared to what more computers come with. It makes up for that difference in speed and silence. The drive makes almost no sound at all and is much more responsive than the 5,400 and 7.200 rpm drives most computers have. The idea is that you put your operating system on the SSD with your programs and you videos and pictures live on a secondary or external drive.

Setup time wasn't bad. I had to start from scratch because I had too much stuff on there. The kit comes with the software to clone your current hard drive to the SSD and an enclosure to turn a laptop drive into an external drive. If you feel like your drive is slow or want a great upgrade, this is a decent start.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : January 25, 2014, 11:48:40 PM »

I JUST got the 240GB stand alone slapped in Saturday morning as my boot drive on my desktop.
New Egg for $130.00!

Did you notice a SSD Trim kit for the Kingston in the software bundle you got?
I haven't looked around for it yet.

I know the $500 Intel SSDs have it but not sure if Kingston has one or not.
The toolbox let's you check for firmware updates and gives you more info on the drive than you need.

I have cloned mech drives before, but as you said, I didn't want to bring over the garbage from my old mech drive.

I was amazed how fast it was to do a new WIN 7 64x install.

Also, I did finally flash my motherboard 3 year old bios prior just to be safe.
Also amazing was that my 3 year motherboard was already set up for 6 GBS and had the proper cables.

We gave up cable tv a few years back so we use the internet for all of our media content so now we have (4) 3TB mech drives to store stuff that I "acquire".

« : January 26, 2014, 12:27:53 AM Mike Raburn »
Wormerod
: 44

« #2 : January 27, 2014, 06:58:27 AM »

Guys,

Do you use any encryption on you laptop or on the drive that you were cloning, and if you do how did the solid state drive take to the encryption?

I have had issues in the past with some WD solid state drives using 128 bit encryption.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
nhibbard

« #3 : January 27, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »

It did come with a trim kit, but as I put it in my tower, I just put it into the drive tray and then into the floppy drive bay. Nice and snug.

I haven't done the encryption but I might try that. I heard the only issue there is the writes to the drive. But then I heard the number of years at normal usage and it wouldn't worry me. I'll let you know how the crypto works.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #4 : January 27, 2014, 07:41:23 PM »

The Trim I was speaking of was for drive maintenance.
At least that was I though I read.

My drive is sitting the tower too, on the bottom slot.

I used two pieces of sticky back velcro to secure it down if I ever move it around.

Encryption?

I have no need for that but I would think if your clone goes well it should work.

I have only used free cloning software once and I forget what it was.

I'd bet you have to buy the cloning software to make sure it all moves over smooth.

Do you have launch codes on that laptop?
nhibbard

« #5 : January 27, 2014, 08:57:01 PM »

Yes, it did allow for a trim of the drive space. They also included a physical piece that was to make the drive fit in the enclosure better to make an external drive. The drive I got came with cloning software. My brother used the same software and said it made a flawless copy to a second drive.

For the encryption there are several free ones but TrueCrypt is the one I always hear about.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: