Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:57:51 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Melinda Carpenter Named Outstanding Teacher 2013
« previous next »
: [1]
: Melinda Carpenter Named Outstanding Teacher 2013  ( 2859 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 25, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »

Educational Background:  Bachelor of Science in Finance from Bentley University; Master of Arts in Education from Johnson State College.

Family: My husband John and I have two girls. Our older daughter is a freshman at UVM and our other daughter is a junior at BFA Fairfax. We are fortunate to have much of our family close to us in Vermont.

Town of residence: Fairfax.

When and how did you know you would be a teacher? It is a second career for me. I became very involved with Franklin County's Success by Six program and BFA's Environmental Science Learning program after my children were born. When I was ready to return to work full time, I couldn't imagine being anywhere but in a school setting.

From where do you gather the inspiration to be a successful teacher? My mother was an extremely talented and dedicated teacher for 40 years and she's an inspiration. I also am fortunate enough to have several amazing peers at BFA that motivate me on a daily basis to stay current with technology and continually work to incorporate best practices into my teaching. Also, coaching sports are a big part of my life and helps me to connect with children at many age levels.

What are the guiding principles that you take into the classroom with you every day? My hope is that students continue to grow academically; socially and developmentally. It's important to me that students have an opportunity to be children, that they have balance in their life and ample time to play and make mistakes. I would like to support students as they take responsible risks and engage in problem solving behaviors that will benefit them as life-long learners. I hope to instill in students the belief that they have options and choices as they enter young adulthood. 'You are the author of your own life's story', is a phrase that hangs in my classroom as a testimony that is meant to empower students. Lastly; I seek to be a coach, facilitator and co-learner in my students technological journey. My goal is support them as digital citizens as they engage in transformative learning that extends beyond the walls of our classroom.

What advice would you offer to a new or discouraged teacher? Some days will be joyous. Many days will be a challenge. Every day you have the opportunity to make a difference in a young person's life. Embrace the knowledge that your attitude and affect sets the tone in the classroom. Be positive and learn from your mistakes. Use your resources and colleagues for support and guidance.

"My students are clever, funny and imaginative. "

Henry Raymond
cowtchr
: 17

« #1 : October 26, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »

Congratulations on being recognized for your excellence in teaching!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: