Do you have what it takes to join this group?
For the last 30+ years, Fairfax Rescue has provided Emergency Medical Services to the community. The heart and soul of the organization is, and has always been, its volunteer members. As the needs of the community have grown, so have we. We currently provide primary Advance Life Support ambulance service to the communities of Fairfax, Fletcher and Westford, while utilizing 2 ambulances, 26 volunteers, and a handful of paid staff to accomplish this goal. We are now housed in a brand new, comfortable facility making volunteering easier than ever.
Some frequently asked questions:
• What does a volunteer do? Volunteers can do everything from driving the ambulance to providing advance level life support, depending on training and individual desire.
• How much time is required? In general we ask that our volunteers provide 72 hours of service each month. This typically includes one 12 hour shift each week and 24 hours of weekend coverage each month, however, scheduling is somewhat flexible. The volunteer chooses the hours that work best for them.
• What are the minimum requirements? You must have a strong desire to help those in need. A love for your community is helpful. No previous training is necessary. Fairfax Rescue will provide all necessary training.
• What do I need for equipment? Fairfax Rescue provides all needed equipment to its volunteers.
• If I am under 18 can I still volunteer? Yes. Fairfax Rescue is one of the few services that allows Junior Membership. You must be at least 16 years of age and have parental consent. We are currently working with the vocational center at BFA St Albans to provide students in their Fire/EMS program to have a hands-on field experience.
• How do I become a volunteer? Fill out an application. Applications can be obtained by stopping by the Rescue Station and talking with one of our members. You may also download an application from our web site at fairfaxrescue.org Once you have filled out an application, you will have a short meeting with our Board of Directors after which you can begin.
• What if I have more questions? Anyone with more questions should feel free to contact Michael Spaulding, our Director of Operations, Monday through Thursday from 8 AM to 6 PM at 849-2773. Alternately, speak with any of our current members.