Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:05:04 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  He's Back
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: He's Back  ( 12428 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 21, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »

These pictures were taken this afternoon at around 5:15 PM, the same time he was here yesterday.

Skip

Henry Raymond
al brodeur
: 216

« #1 : September 21, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »

where in Fairfax is this?
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #2 : September 22, 2013, 03:26:46 AM »

yes inquireing minds want to know?
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #3 : September 22, 2013, 05:56:19 AM »

He is a handsome creature, indeed!
Judi
: 508

« #4 : September 22, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »

where in Fairfax is this?

About 1/2 mile up on Shepardon Hollow Road from River Rd. entrance.
ohhman
: 469

« #5 : September 22, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »

I know someone who could take care of him if he becomes a problem; it would look good next to the one already on the wall!
cassyt
: 84

« #6 : September 22, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »

Great pictures keep the doors close and pets in.He looks well fed.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #7 : September 22, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »

3plusk my thoughts exactly
KLL
: 5

« #8 : September 22, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »

He/She is making the rounds. Up the hill from Skip, bear took down 2 of our feeders 9/19 so we
emptied our other ones. That wasn't good enough as bear came back both Fri and Sat looking
for more. I'd say we have a nuisance bear in Fairfax!
Norton
: 85

« #9 : September 22, 2013, 07:45:29 PM »

Our squirrel baffle did not keep this guy from helping himself to an afternoon snack in our backyard

a rubbermaid container with a top on it, containing about 30 pounds of birdseed, was gone

bear took down 2 of our feeders

Isn't the cause of the problem obvious?  Is there any need to feed squirrels or birds this time of year?

There are folks volunteering to shoot it once it has been baited into the back yard.  Is that fair to the bear?  Or "sporting"?
Norton

« #10 : September 22, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »

This is from the Vermont Dept of Fish and Wildlife website:

People love to see the Eastern Black Bear in its natural surroundings. But when bears venture into human territory, problems can occur. Often, bears pay the price. Bears can get all the food they need from the forests, but they are opportunists. This means they eat whatever food they can find most easily. When a chance for easy food presents itself, bears take advantage of it. People often encourage bears to come out of the forest by providing food without realizing it. Once bears become used to these food sources and come into frequent human contact, people sometimes call them "nuisance bears." But, they are just being bears! Some of the most common sources of food provided by people that attract bears are: pet food, bird feeders, barbecue grills, garbage, household trash containers, open dumpsters, and campsites with accessible food and food wastes.

Here's what you can do to keep from attracting bears out of their forest habitat. Never feed bears, deliberately or accidentally. Feed your pets indoors. Feed birds from December to March only. Store trash in a secure place-trash cans alone are not enough! People need to remember that bears are wild animals. Everyone is better off when bears stay in their natural habitat-the forest. People love to see the Eastern Black Bear in its natural surroundings. But when bears venture into human territory, problems can occur. Often, bears pay the price. Bears can get all the food they need from the forests, but they are opportunists. This means they eat whatever food they can find most easily. When a chance for easy food presents itself, bears take advantage of it. People often encourage bears to come out of the forest by providing food without realizing it. Once bears become used to these food sources and come into frequent human contact, people sometimes call them "nuisance bears." But, they are just being bears! Some of the most common sources of food provided by people that attract bears are: pet food, bird feeders, barbecue grills, garbage, household trash containers, open dumpsters, and campsites with accessible food and food wastes.

Here's what you can do to keep from attracting bears out of their forest habitat. Never feed bears, deliberately or accidentally. Feed your pets indoors. Feed birds from December to March only. Store trash in a secure place-trash cans alone are not enough! People need to remember that bears are wild animals. Everyone is better off when bears stay in their natural habitat-the forest.

Hunting bears with the use of bait is prohibited

Hunters may not use bait or a baited area to take bear.  A “baited area” is defined as an area where meat, carrion or any other substances capable of luring or attracting bear has been has been placed or deposited.

It is illegal to shoot a bear that is visiting a bird feeder.

It is illegal to feed bears.
ohhman
: 469

« #11 : September 22, 2013, 09:01:20 PM »

Sorry Norton, I disagree with you in that many of us chose to feed birds, thus giving us & the little children we care for something to watch, learn what they are & study their ways.  Yes, we have begun to invade wild animals territory as we continue to build home for people, but that will happen regardless if we feed the birds/squirrels.  Unfortunately, other critters will seek this food & I do not feel what Skip is doing is to bait them at all! I just offered if it becomes a problem, I know of a very responsible young man that can/will take care of the problem.  And just as an FYI, it IS bear season right now.  And also for the record, the one my son shot a few years back that is beautifully mounted, was NOT baited!
Norton

« #12 : September 22, 2013, 10:00:37 PM »

3plusk, I didn't mean to imply that your bear was baited.  I apologize if it sounded like that.

Yes, it's bear season.  And it's illegal to shoot bears at a bird feeder.  And if you look at the definition of "baited area" given above, I think it's clear that going up to Skip's back yard and killing the bear that has been attracted there by food is illegal, even if the food was placed there to attract birds.  If you think it's "responsible" kill wildlife illegally, I guess that's your opinion.

Leaving food out is the main reason for bears in people's yards, even if the intent is to feed other animals.  To me, it seems reasonable to follow the Fish & Wildlife advice I quoted to minimize the bear problem. 
KLL
: 5

« #13 : September 23, 2013, 09:41:18 AM »

Agreed, we try to be responsible and usually stop putting out bird food by October, so we were surprised to see a bear
this early. Hopefully others will put away bird food, etc. to discourage this bear, I'd hate for anything drastic happen to it.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #14 : September 24, 2013, 07:57:34 AM »

Agreed KLL the bears are a bit early.  Dad has his bird feeder down as well now.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: