Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:48:42 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  He's Back
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: He's Back  ( 12475 )
Thor

« #15 : September 25, 2013, 06:34:05 AM »

This seems to remind me of something else. Bear used to work to support himself. Then gets a taste of the freebie system. Bear begins to transition to part time work for himself and still taking advantage of the freebies. Ultimately, the bear decides that the freebies are much easier on his daily routine and gives up work, so that others can support him. NOW he is a problem to some folks, while others try to figure out what to do. We can't deny him his freebies, as he is now accustomed to them. But we cannot eliminate him either. Oh the moral dilemmas. What do we do with the parasitic bear, who is more than capable of fending for himself, but no longer wants to do that and just wants society to support him? Watch out, he soon may ask for some help with his lodging this winter.... may not be big enough, may not be warm enough, perhaps he would like to have assistance in relocating to a somewhat warmer climate. And who knows what bird feed will do to his system, we better give him free health care. And perhaps free legal advice so he can sue the people who put that unhealthy bird food out there in their yards, where he illegally gained access, but is now the victim.

I know I have seen this play out somewhere, but for the life of me, I cannot recall where. Oh well.
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #16 : September 25, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »

Gotcha, Thor!  Now, let's just let the bear be the bear!! (lol)
7F24
: 253

« #17 : September 25, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »

The bear will continue to eat without the assistance of the feeders.  Why should he turn down an easy meal, he doesn't know the feeders aren't for him.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #18 : September 27, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »

I was telling some of my old retired IBM friends about Skip's bear and he sent me back the following note:  (Don't believe everything he says in it)

Be careful of that bear............ they are all over Greensboro also.  To the extent that the local mom/pop stores have flyers posted warning to be on the look out for them as they are getting really brave around homes.  A little trivia from one of the local hunters up here.  A bear will go back 21 days in a row to a place it has found food.  Not sure of the truth to it, but we don't want to test it at our house.  My feeders are in to the recommended Nov 30th date.  Last year, I took a lot of pictures as a bear knocked down nine bird feeders in my yard.  I would go out on the deck and make noise, the bear would run off in the woods with a bird feeder and be back in ten minutes for a refill.  It got to the point I would make all kinds of noise on the deck as he was knocking down a feeder and he actually would lay down on the lawn, eat the bird seed and look at me .....like get lost buddy, stop the noise, I am eating.  He would knock down a thistle feeder smell it and leave it alone.  Guess they don't like the thistle, so you may be OK with yours.   

Thanks, take care, Wayne

Henry Raymond
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: